TENT - Re:Fleshing out an encampment

Stephen Wyley stephenw-hrt at nmit.vic.edu.au
Thu Jan 27 09:27:23 PST 2000

Hi All,

I had trouble writing directly back to the chap asking about fleshing
out his encampment, so please excuse the reprint of this information
which has appeared on the list before.

I should go through my data base and do a listing of ms which show
general camping equipment, eg. tressells, chest, cooking gear etc.
Watch this space...

> I like you article on the Viking Beds. I was especially interested in
> the Beds in Tents on the end, since I have a project underway dealing
> with the Tents of History, see;
>
> http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Tents/intro.html
>
> I have not in fact come across the specific wood cut before so I will
> have to add it to my ever going list.
>
> Other manuscripts which have beds in them are;
>
> Historie du Graal by Robert de Borron (13th Century)
> http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Tents/13thcentury/13thc-7.html
>
> Grandes de Chroniques de France (1400 A.D.)
> http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Tents/14thcentury/1400-1.html
>
> Bibbia Istoriata Padovanna (with some chests as well) (1400 A.D.)
> (folios 51r and 51v)
> http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Tents/14thcentury/1400-2.html
>
> The Vision of Constantine by Piero Della Francesca (1454 -1458 A.D.)
> http://www.geocities.comsvenskildbiter/Tents/15thcentury/1454-1458.html
>
> Judith Taking Holifern's Head (1455 - 1465 A.D.)
> http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Tents/15thcentury/1455-1465.html
>
> Iliad, Master of the Vatican Homer (1477 A.D.)
> http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Tents/15thcentury/1477.html
>
> Siege of Betulia by Erhard Schoen (1533 A.D.)
> http://www.geocities.comsvenskildbiter/Tents/16thcentury/1533-1.html
>
> Judith and the Holofernes by H. Vogtherr, the Elder (1543 A.D.)
> http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/Tents/16thcentury/1510-2.html
>
> I have also noted that tents with chests in them are more frequent than beds.
>
> PS
>
> I think the Maciejowsky Bible (1250 A.D.) has some beds in tents too.

Bye for now,

Stephen Francis Wyley
stephenw-hrt at nmit.vic.edu.au
Technical Officer
(Plant Tissue Culture, Chemistry and Soil Science)
Conservation and Applied Science Department, NMIT

For "Historical" and "How to" articles by me see;

http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/index.html

or for Arrows made to order;

http://svenskildbiter.webjump.com/order.html