TENT - Current Projects painting

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Thu Jan 27 09:22:13 PST 2000

Timorra,

You asked about painting.  I did a fair amount of testing different types before I
settled on the type I am using--an acrylic goache.  My requirements were:

--Had not run in rain
--had to not flake or crack when rolled
--had to be so tough you could scrub the walls together when wet  (this is where
       most paints fail)

I thin it with a bit of water, and just paint it right on.  I have heard of people
who use acrylic housepaint, and set it with heat (that's where you use that
laundromat you hate--the big dryer on high!).  There are more details about
painting tents at http://www.teleport.com/~tguptill/pavgeneral.htm--just click on
the painting/decoration link at the top part of the page.

One weird side effect of painting to be aware of, though--the EDGES of where I've
painted are not waterproof.  The tent I am working on was partially painted when I
took it to Pennsic a couple years ago, and the only places that leaked on my
untreated canvas tent, were the edges of the painting.  The paint won't let the
fibers swell, so it will weep at the edges....

Mira