TENT - Sewing question

Tanya Guptill tguptill at teleport.com
Thu Jan 27 09:58:13 PST 2000

Andri,

I don't know what the other tent makers are using, but I can tell you what I use.

What sewing machine?  A standard Husqvarna.  I've had it 15 years and it has sewed
like a champ.

Style needle--don't use one that is larger than what you really need.  Remember that
       you are punching holes in the fabric, and the larger the hole the greater the
       chance for leaks.  The trick is to use good thread, too, one that has enough natural
       fiber (cotton) to swell when wet, filling the needle hole.  I use Gutterman, but
       I know that there are others out there. Don't use a plastic or polyester thread.

When do you change your needle?  Frequently :)   Unfortunately, there is no hard and
        fast rule.  It I'm sewing canvas, I can usually tell when to change my needle by the
        feel of the machine (does it seem to be working harder to punch through the
        fabric?) and by the sound the machine makes.  Weird, but true...