PE - new to list

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Oct 2 20:04:49 PDT 2000

>Jennifer Hill wrote:
>  >
>  > The main consideration is ease of raising... as I will be alone much of the
>  > time

I have two plausibly period tent designs that I am happy with. One is
Daffyd's version of a pavillion--single center pole, hub and spoke
structure (like an umbrella), no external ropes. I can set it up
single handed in less than half an hour. It is about 13 feet in
diameter at the shoulder (which is six feet high) and about 19 feet
at ground level. It's a fair amount of work to make, but doable.

The other is a geteld, which I made for my kids. It's basically a pup
tent shape, except that the sides are wider at the bottom than at the
top. It is also easy to set up single handed, much less work to make,
but a good deal less space efficient.

You can find pictures of both at Stephen Bloch's web page; I don't
have the URL but expect a search would find it easily.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/