PE - Re: Angles large oval wedge?

Mira (Tanya Guptill) tguptill at teleport.com
Tue Oct 3 08:48:08 PDT 2000

Stephen Wyley wrote:

> Hi Wendy,
>
> I am yet to come across such a tent as you describe.
>
> Can you quote your reference for this Angles large oval wedge?

It looks to me like it is the earlier form of a bell wedge, with the slit door, ala
Tudor period.  If I'm correct, you see a lot more of these in period than the
so-called French Bells (more common American Civil War, door is different, althoug
there is evidence of the awning/door in Coburg in the mid 1600s).

Mira

Mira

> ---
> Bye for now,
>
> Sven
> (Stephen Francis Wyley)
> Fortifications (Dictionary of Military Architecture, etc).
> http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/index.html
> Archery, Arms, Armour, Chests, Tents, Trebuchets,
> Vikings, Woodwork.
> http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/index.html
> Arrow Fletching, Turbow Longbows & Yoretymes Emporium of History
> http://svenskildbiter.webjump.com/index2.html
>
> On 2 Oct 00 08:56:11 CDT   Wendy Freeman/Otte wrote:
> >The Angles had a one-person-to-raise tent - it was a large oval wedge with a
> >slit door in the center of the long side.  You peg all of the sides down
> >first, then take the two poles into the tent, and raise the roof, one pole at
> >a time.  No ropes - all based on tension.  Very few seams, so good for a rainy
> >climate.
> >
> >One problem - I think its timeperiod of use was 700-900AD, maybe earlier.
> >
> >--Lady Wyllow of the Loch
>
> Angelfire for your free web-based e-mail. http://www.angelfire.com

http://www.teleport.com/~tguptill/tent.html

Rest not--life is sweeping by