PE - Spoked wheel design .... was Ropes or not to rope!

Stephen Wyley svenskildbiter at angelfire.com
Wed Oct 4 14:06:54 PDT 2000

Dear Terafan,

You have done your research well. However, I think it best that we agree to disagree on the information supporting an internal structure for tents.

Looking at your long list of reference I see no mention of any extant examples but only artist interpretation of tents, which in itself is open to interpretation.

I do believe such artistic representation can be used to infer tent design features but cannot be used to conclusively prove one.

BTW, some friends of mine are on their way to the re-enactment of Hastings (1066 A.D.) via Poland, Russian, Ukraine, and Scandinavia (luck buggers). While in Warsaw they came across an extant Turkish tent in one of the Museums, I will be getting pictures and details when they get back. Also there are numerous extant tents in the Military Museum and the Museum next to the Hippodrome in Istanbul (I have the photo somewhere). Sorry none of these have internal structures.

---
Bye for now,

Sven
(Stephen Francis Wyley)
Fortifications (Dictionary of Military Architecture, etc).
http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskildbiter/index.html
Archery, Arms, Armour, Chests, Tents, Trebuchets,
Vikings, Woodwork.
http://www.geocities.com/svenskildbiter/index.html
Arrow Fletching, Turbow Longbows & Yoretymes Emporium of History
http://svenskildbiter.webjump.com/index2.html