PE - Structure tents

Todric todric at raex.com
Fri Oct 6 08:21:54 PDT 2000

        <LURKMODE=OFF>

At 09:37 PM 10/05/2000 -0700, Sunjan wrote:

>De-lurking for a moment, Sunjan says:

        I echo Sunjan's words; the mathmatics of Gers allows them to be
built to nearly any dimension, the only restrictions seeming to be the
strength of the materials.
        IMHO, they have major advantages over tents which _require_
outrigger ropes and center-poles.
        BTW, there's a non-period (as far as I can tell) modification which
greatly increases the high-wind stability of gers; I add a loop which passes
thru the roof poles near the ring.
        What can happen in very high wind is that a strong gust can push a
ger into an oval-shape. When this happens, the roof poles in the long axis
unplug from the ring, which upsets the dynamic stability (and can drop the
roof).
        By adding a cord loop near the ring, the poles are prevented from
unplugging.
        Of course, there are probably several good ways to keep the poles
locked in; I chose to drill the poles and add a loop because drilling near
the ends doesn't seriously effect the strength of the poles or detract
over-much from the period-look.

        Master Todric OL, OP, GDH

        <mka TR King, Singing Horse Designs>
        <Complete Gers or Components to Your Specifications>
                <http://web.raex.com/~yurts>

        <LURKMODE=ON>