PE - Structure tents

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Oct 6 12:23:15 PDT 2000

>  I just wish I had the woodworking skills to make
>the hub and spokes myself,  I'd love to have one for Pennsic next year!

The hub and spokes are easy. All you have to do for the hub is get a
1 3/4" thick hardwood plank (nominal two inches) about 6"x6" or a
little bigger, cut it into a regular 12 sided polygon (if you are
doing a 12 sided pavilion),  drill a hole in each side, and drill a
hole down the center for the center pole to go through. If the center
pole has a square cross section, you then chisel out a little more
wood to make the hole square. All you have to do with the spokes is
cut oak 1x1's to the appropriate length (about 6 1/2 feet for the
size pavilion I built), round one end with a file or spokeshave or
whittling knife so it will fit into the holes in the hub, and round
the other end a bit so it will be less likely to tear the cloth. A
couple of hours work should do it. If you don't have a saw and a
drill and a file or spokeshave, I expect someone in your group does.

That assumes a hardwood hub and spoke, which is what I use. Daffyd's
design would be a little more work, and possibly a little less
expensive, since he is using softwood 2x2's for the spokes and
several pieces of plywood glued together for the hub. His design is
probably stronger, but mine seems to be strong enough--and takes up
noticebly less room in the car.

The real work is the pavilion itself. My guess is that if you are
experienced at sewing you could do it in a weekend, provided you had
nothing else to do and could work right through. More plausibly, you
could do it in a week including both weekends, spending all your
spare time on it.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/