[Re: PE - first Pavillion]

Wendy Freeman/Otte wyllow at netscape.net
Fri Sep 29 15:04:58 PDT 2000

My recommendation for a first pavilion, based on my own trial & error, is to
start with research:
1. What is your persona?  What timeperiod & locality?  Search for tents in
pictures from these timeperiods/locations.  I've got a great 14th-Century
French 2-bell pavilion - too bad I'm actually 600AD Scots!  Now I'm building a
Roman pup tent for those "high persona" events.

2. How much work can you put into it?  How many people are available to set it
up?  (When poles outnumber people in your *camping* household, you have to beg
for help - which can be difficult if you're the first one there or last one
out.)

3. How "authentic" do you want it - where will you compromise?  Some use the
10-ft rule (if it looks authentic from 10 ft, good enough!).  Some go all out
(I twisted my own rope & gutted my own goats to make this!)  Most of us fall
in-between, using lumberyard hardware, prepared canvas, etc...  Decide on your
philosophy, then stick to it.

When you are happy with your answers to these questions, start hunting down
patterns.  This will save you a lot of heart-ache in the long run.