PE - Camping safety

John LaTorre jlatorre at midtown.net
Tue Feb 20 22:22:02 PST 2001

Greetings, the list:

After the unfortunate events at Estrella this year, it was
suggested to me that I put a column on my web site on the
subject of camping safety. It occured to me that I wrote
such an article years ago, where I used it as a site handout
for an A&S tourney class on the subject. I have managed to
dig it out, convert it from WordStar (yes, it was that long
ago) to HTML, and posted it on my web site as:

http://midtown.net/dragonwing/col0102.htm

(And, yes, there is a reference in the introduction to the
deaths being due to carbon monoxide poisoning, although I've
heard subsequent reports that the heater was not lit and,
therefore, death was due to other factors. I'll reserve
judgment on this until we have more definite information
from some authoritative source. All the same, everything in
the article remains valid, and it is my hope that education
will save people a great deal of trouble and grief.)

Feel free to use it as you see fit. It is intended to
introduce those who are new to SCA camping to some dangers
they face and how to deal with them. With the camping season
just beginning, the time to get the word out is NOW.

--

John LaTorre (Johann von Drachenfels)

"Always do right. It will gratify some people & astonish the
rest."
--Mark Twain