PE - canvas water sealer .. i'll check it out.

Allen & Sonya panthera at swcp.com
Wed Mar 7 22:42:52 PST 2001

Actually, this isn't true. Sunforger is a type of finish, like Canvak is
a finish, but even though several companies distribute Sunforger, the
finish is only applied by one company, and is a *FAR* superior finish to
Canvak. They are from two different companies, and not the same thing at
all. Also, to be correct, there are three different finishes of
Sunforger, not including fire-retardant,  (in primarily two weights of
canvas) that you can get.

[Have you ever been inside an old military or Boy Scout tent? They have
a certain, definite *smell* to them, and are kind of oily to the
touch...That is Canvak.]

I would generally recommend against trying to waterproof your own tent,
unless you have the money to spend on the products that are made
specifically for use on canvas. We tried it long ago, and it stunk for
months, picked up every bit of dust and dirt, and eventually breaks down
the canvas. Plus you really need to re-apply the stuff every year or so
to keep it waterproof. *AND*  the other stuff is **NOT** fire-retardant,
and is not recommended for canvas by the company (like Thompson's).

There are, however, several finishing products that are made
specifically for use on canvas. There is
1. Canvak- "A water-repellant finish for tents, tarpaulins, and covers."
It runs approximately $15 a gallon.

2. Clear Preservo- " A protective liquid compound for waterproofing and
mildew-proofing canvas. Preservo leaves canvas soft and flexible. 1
gallon covers approximately 90 square feet of 10 oz. or 11 oz. canvas,
available in clear only." It  runs approximately $15 a gallon.

3. Weathermaster-"A specially formulated, instant water-repellant
compound which provides an excellent water-repellant treatment of
heavy-duty canvas. Coverage for 1 can is 50 square feet or more,
depending upon condition of fabric." It runs approximately $15 a can.

These prices vary according to amount ordered. I have to say, that we
have not tried any of these products ourselves. We buy Sunforger, which
we have found to be the best cotton canvas for period pavillions in  the
business. These products are flammable and many can be highly toxic to
the body until completely dry.

--Fahlah al-Nasafiyyah
--Highland Tents--
(505) 255-7717