[Periodencampments] Re: Classes at Estrella

John LaTorre jlatorre at midtown.net
Fri Oct 26 20:46:22 PDT 2001

Greetings, all:

I'm looking forward to convening with you all at the
Estrella War next February! It looks like we're going to be
on the schedule for the following classes. Mira, Sunjan,
Marguerite, Sasha ... are we going to be OK with the
proposed class dates, times, etc.?

(Personally, I'd like to have the slide show first, followed
by the discussion. If you agree with me, I'll ask to see if
they can be switched.

TENTATIVE Description (subject to change):

Tentmaking round-table -- a general discussion of tentmaking
moderated by experienced tentmakers. Techniques, sources,
designs, and camping environments will probably be
discussed. No limit; possibly a fee for handouts.

Date & time: Friday 1-2
Comments ... Is one hour going to be enough? Should we ask
for two periods?

Period tentage (and some SCA variations) -- a slide show
showing representations of period tents and pavilions
(including one extant surviving example) and tents seen at
SCA encampments derived from period examples. No limit, no
fee.

Date & time: Friday 4-5

Comments: Maybe this class should go first, to prepare a
context for the round-table. (Or maybe it's fine, or better,
right where it is ... what do you think?) Also, if you have
anything you'd like to add to this class (either historical
images ... I have NOTHING on period yurts, for example ...
or cool tents in your area that you have pictures of), you
can send the images to my email address, not the list:

jlatorre at midtown.net

as attachments (JPEGs of 500K or less would be preferred) or
via snailmail to John LaTorre, 4831 7th Ave., Sacramento CA
95820. (If you want them back afterward, remind me and I'll
bring them to the War.) Once I have the pictures, I'll make
slides of them for the presentation.

FYI, I'll also be teaching the following classes:

> Tool sharpening for woodworkers and carvers -- hands-on
>demonstration of tool-sharpening techniques. Bring your dull
>plane irons, chisels, knives, augurs, scrapers, and gouges
>to learn how to restore them to full utility. Whetstones and
>Band-Aids will be provided and basic techniques explained.
>No fee, no limit.

Scheduled for Saturday 9-10 (but may be switch with class
described below)

> Slide show on the history of the medieval London Bridge,
>one of the most curious structures of the Middle Ages (and
>not to be confused with the one over at Lake Havasu). No
>fee, no limit.

Scheduled for Saturday 10-11, but may be switched with
sharpening class.

--

John LaTorre (Johann von Drachenfels)

"Always do right. It will gratify some people & astonish the
rest."
--Mark Twain