RF - NEWSFLASH! TIMOWHITEBELT!

D. R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Tue Apr 20 14:01:33 PDT 1999

STDLRB13 wrote:

> I STILL SAY DSD should be a KNIGHT !
> grumble grumble from the darkness
> Ragan

    Thanks for the vote.  There may be others that feel the same way.  I

know my short comings and the reasons 'why not' probably better than
anyone
because elusive things provoke such thought.

    Secretly, I am squire to every Knight.  I've studied Knights and
Knighthood since the beginning.  I even put my heart into it for a few
years, then circumstances changed.  I became Baron.  Some would say that

doesn't matter, but I do.  Still at every chance, every event, I will
pick
out some unwary Knight to watch, learn from, and evaluate.  Sometime I
learn
grace and manners, other times it's prowess and skill.  There is no one
thing that makes a Knight, save possibly commitment to one's oaths till
death.  Currently my oaths are to the crown.  Not as a Knight, but as a
Baron.  I serve you and this Barony first and will not be distracted
from
it.  If being Baron blows my chance, then so be it.

    I am not a Knight, nor even close, and I've thought on this a lot.
In
my definition of Knighthood, it takes more than I could ever give.  To
me,
it takes being a squire.  It also takes commitment to learning skills
such
as bardic, song, and dance.  It takes a serious study of history.  It
takes
moral excellence, goodness, and righteousness.  It takes conformity in
life
and conduct which exemplifies moral and ethical principles.  It takes
daily
practice and an unwavering devotion to profound ideals for living.  It
takes
study and meditation upon the virtues and the sins.  It takes Prowess,
and
Courage, and Honesty, and Loyalty, and Generosity, and Faith, and
Courtesy,
and Franchise.  All of which can be elusive.  It takes service and
travel.
Above all it takes A LOT of fighting.  And still, for all this, one may
not
become a Knight, but if one should, then their work has only just begun.

    Sure it would be an honor to stand within that brotherhood.  I've
got
many friends there and each of them exemplify what I've said above.  I
was
told something early on by Sir William of Weir and have seen its proof
in
presence of every Knight since; Knighthood is just an accolade for that
which you already are.  Thanks for seeing that in me, though I see it
not
myself.  You give me cause to work on a few things.

cheers,
David St David, Raven's Fort