RF - Unto the Populace

Denise Horton dshorton at paranet.com
Tue Jul 13 07:46:57 PDT 1999

Unto whom may be interested:

I usually don't write to this list, as I haven't had anything meaningful
to add, but I see this is a great opportunity to plug a few things:  the
_Quoth_, an email notification list, and my web page.

1.  If you have something coming up, please let me know.  I will be happy
to put it in the _Quoth_.  This includes informal get-togethers, guild
meetings, etc.  Few enough people utilize the _Quoth_, with the immediacy
of email, but some (including myself) plan things well in advance and early
notice is a key to getting people to attend your meeting.  Use email to
remind them, but still publish it in the _Quoth_!  I do!  Deadline is the
third Thursday of the month (Officer's meeting), although with warning I
can extend this somewhat (but not indefinitely).

2.  You are welcome to submit almost anything you like to the _Quoth_,
provided
it isn't a) plagarized or b) a political statement of any sort.  I don't
receive
many submissions, so it isn't my fault if things are not getting put in the
_Quoth_.  The organizer needs to take the initiative of informing me, since
am not clairvoyant.  We have a classified section that is appropriate for
many
things, plus a list of guilds with contacts and meeting dates where
available.
(If you detect a note of despair, then you understand me correctly.)

3.  For those of you who are in the southern portion of the Barony, I have
made
announcements at Populace and have published in the Quoth that I am planning
regular meetings at my home on the second Tuesday of each month (yep, that's
today).  We do scroll painting, topical discussion, and suchlike.  You are
welcome bring any A&S project or peruse my library (which is still
partially
packed).  If you email me that you are coming I can be prepared for a
crowd, but
I do like fair warning on how many to expect so I can be sure to have
enough
chairs, tablespace, etc.  Recently I have only had three other people
attend
(two on a regular basis).  If I get enough interest, I may schedule two a
month,
but only if attendance improves.

4.  In this vein, I also would like to mention my email list (Raven's Fort
South)
that is accessible from my web page.  I have already published the page in
the
Quoth, but those who have not visited may not be aware that you can join
the list
there. It is used to broadcast info and meeting reminders.  I ask that it
not be
used to flame or publish opinions of a non-A&S nature (I mean, if you think
that
one method of dying is more period than another, that is acceptable...
off-topic
posts are discouraged).  Rightfully, that sort of stuff can be taken
offline as
so not to disturb other gentle readers.  The list is not very active
(having only
8 members), but it is used at least monthly.

5.  For those of you who have not been to my web page and don't have a Quoth
handy:  http://members.tripod.com/Jacynth/

6.  I am working on a FAQ about the SCA in our area (since many answers to
questions are dependant on region).  If you have any suggestions or ideas
please
post me on this offline.  When I have enough to post, it will be located in
my
Raven's Fort section on my web page (see above).

I would also be happy to receive any comments or flames offline; please
post me
individually.

Cheers,

-Jacinth-