RF - populace growth

charlotte epps lizardkeep at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 01:18:43 PDT 1999

Greetings!
I have been thinking about Nicklas said in his last post about our
population numbers.  He is right to say that the Domesday book is misleading
as to our true numbers.  Many who are currently listed do not live in this
geographic locale anymore.  But they are our friends and we like to keep in
touch with our friends.  That's why their addresses are listed.
Now, when we attend populace it seems that our numbers have dwindled.  It's
always that way in the mid to end of spring and summer.  That is directly
connected to the school schedule.  For many people their college years are
also their introductory years to the SCA.  We cannot expect all the students
to stay in the Huntsville area and keep supporting Raven's Fort.  They have
lives to start and forge!  All we can do is show them how fun the SCA can be
and maybe prepare them for the big wide Known World out there.  Their
subsequent playing in the SCA after their college years is the best way they
can support our group.  Because we are a college town our numbers will
always fluctuate wildly.
Now that leaves the ones who stay here after college, the ones who have
moved here for whatever reason, the ones who have been living in this town
forever...
Well friends, this number has been growing steadily over the years.  It is
not a fast growth but it is solid.  And I'll take that solidity anytime
before the volatile growth some groups boast of.  And that's my opinion.  So
there!
Now, as to recruitment, Nicklas is right.  We should recruit some new
people.  But not as a mad frenzy just over the next six months!  This is
something we should be continually doing. And just getting people in the SCA
is not enough.  We must make them welcome, educate them, support them, get
them truly involved.  This takes time and hard work.

And now for something completely different:
The Perseid showers are coming!  The sky will be falling!(that means meteor
showers guys..)And the moon will be new at the peak of the showers!!!(that
means very little light, lots of stars...)
So, weather and land agent (OK with you Kief?) permitting let's meet at the
Stones on the 13th of August(that's a friday) at nightfall.  T'is time to
have a Stargazer's meet...
See ya then if not before!
Gwynn