RF - Unto the Populace (1of 2)

Lorraine and/or Kief deer_kief at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 02:11:19 PDT 1999

Fin stated

(snip)

>they can, much less how to go about it.  Those who know the acceptable form
>and method for recommendations are not making them, nor are they sharing
>this
>information with others.

I guess I kind of do take offense to this...I personally have made
every effort reasonably possible for a number of years to try to
get people to write reccommendations...I have passed out forms
told people who to write to and what to put down...without trying to
put too much of my own subjectivity into it

>And, at least in one instance, those who >have suggested
>awards have had those awards refused without adequate explanation.

I would be curious to know the circumstance...

>The
>following  is not personal, I use the highest ranking example in our barony
>because it is the best example, not because it is the only one, but the
>Baroness
>said to me that every attempt is made to surprise the individual who is
>receiving
>the award.

Yeah she likes to have people suprized...what has that got to do with
whether someone deserves an award or not...I personally think that
a person should NOT know in advance that they are receiving an award...For
one thing if the legistics screw up and the award does not arrive or some
such thing...It really twists everyone involved...not
the least of which the prospective award recipient. Just because
the person to receive the award does not know doesnt mean that
the people around them can't...

(snip)

>with this, but it seems we also have a lack of populace and populace
>communication.

There has always been a lack of communication...many people have tried to
remedy this in many ways...they try for a while...get tired
of mollycoddling people and getting no response to the people they
call or otherwise contact and then stop...

(snippes stuff that Gwen has already addressed)

>Also, we have
>the same lack of attendance at other baronial non-event gatherings, and
>indeed,
>our events are somewhat underpopulated.

We have tried our damnest to get people to non-event gatherings. How many
times do you think these things have to be mentioned to a person
before they remember what's going on...I...for one am tired of reminding
people over and over...going out of my way to call or otherwise contact them
and they don't have the wherewithal to remember
what is going on...I'll speak to them after the gathering and they'll have
forgotten the 10 times I told them about it...If I tell you...
it is your responsibility to remember from there...If you don't it
is not that important to you...

>At bardic gatherings that have been
>held I was disappointed that our Ravenskald was not in attendance.  So much
>so,
>that I asked our previous Ravenskald why.  He told me he hadn't known about
>them.

Well ya know the Ravenscald has very seldom been from our Barony and the
legistics of travel are...And there are many activities that
our champions are told about...they just forget...

>  There are many people who are in this Barony, paid members or not, who
>we *need* for support and growth.  For many reasons, some of them miss out
>on one or more lines of communication.  Some do not receive the Quoth,
>others
>have no online access, and more do not or cannot attend populace meetings.
>Those who miss out on two or more of these information sources seem to miss
>out on two thirds or more of our activities.  I attend populace every
>possible time,
>receive the Quoth, and have had semi-reliable internet access for about two
>years
>now, and I have still missed things because I didn't know about them until
>it was
>too late.

One of the problems seems to be that people don't give things enough time to
get known...If it is not an ongoing Baronial activity then
people need at least 1 month of advanced warning...

>I don't know how people found out in the past, nor do I know if there is
>any standardized method of informing the populace in a timely manner that
>is left
>over from the pre-modem days, but I'm starting a list.  I'm going to
>contact every
>single person in this Barony I can get my hands on (and some that are not,
>but do
>give us their allegiance), in whatever way is possible, and let them know
>what is
>happening.

This is pretty much how it was done in the past...

>  If I can't attend, I'll try even harder to make sure others do.

That would be a great help

>Many of
>these people are long distance to me or may have inconvenient contact
>methods,
>those who wish to help may feel more than welcome to do so.  If we happen
>hit a person more than once, maybe they'll feel *real* wanted.

And maybe they won't, some people use the just call me thing to
get out of further conversation....

>  And for those
>who may know of upcoming events that those who are making the calls might
>have missed, make sure the callers know, call them.

I would suggest that you figure out some kind of criteria for
dropping people from your list or you will get incredibly burnt out
and feel VERY unappreciated...

Maybe if you call them for activities for 6 months and they don't
show up or otherwise respond...then call them only before events.

Also after a  point, it is that person's responsibility to keep up
if they want to be involved...you can only spend so much energy and
time trying to get them to make the SCA somewhere in their list of
things to keep up with.

>  I was going to start this next
>month, but I realize now I was being lazy.  I've been lazy for far too
>long.  I think
>a lot of us have.
>	Anyone who knows about the last time I attended TRF as a member of
>the SCA and got into a dispute knows that I am not worried about political
>suicide.

I never even heard of it...

(snip)
>	In any group with an acknowledged leader or leaders, it is incredibly
>difficult not to look to them when there is a problem.  In the best of
>times they are
>looked to for a solution and know that one must be found.  The best of
>times
>rarely happen.  The worst of times find personal grievances and a lack of
>realization that cause accusations and insults.  Those who find themselves
>in the
>position of leader are never perfect, but are often held to a higher
>standard.
>Those who look to the leaders should try their utmost to allow for human
>failings.
>And the leaders should be willing to admit to them.

I agree...and thank goodness ours do...
(snip)

>In service,
>
>Tiarna Aodhfionn Mac Cormaic