RF - awards

charlotte epps lizardkeep at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 15:30:24 PDT 1999

Yet another tip for recommending people for awards.
Usually at the beginning of each reign the Crown will state their
preferences for recommendations.  These guidelines(because that's exactly
what they are, don't ever forget it!) are usually published in the Black
Star.  Sometimes the Crown will issue mail to that purpose to the
seneschales and B&Bs who then pass on the info to the populace, as just
happened this week as a matter of fact...so don't say that our B&B do not
keep us informed.
If you don't get the Black Star you must not be a member...  If you play you
really should keep your membership up to date...I know that many times the
argument has been made that the SCA is a volunteer society and therefore
just volunteering should be well enough.  Well kiddos, it's NOT!  Membership
pays our insurance(which ain't cheap).  No insurance means no tourneys(light
or heavy)no missile competitions, no equestrian, no camping in primitive
sites, no
quests etc.  Getting the picture yet?
Now I well know that sometimes finances will oblige one to skip a few
months, or that the process of renewal will leave one with a gap in their
subscription to the Black Star(been there, done that).  So let me give you a
tip to remedy that problem.  Find a couple where both persons are members.
This means that they will receive their Black Star and TI in double.  Most
couples will gladly donate their redundant copies if you ask nicely...  They
are a lot of couples in this Barony.  'Nuff said there.
Another way to keep informed is to join a household(or form one if you so
desire).  Most well organized households will keep their members informed of
any activity which may(or may not)affect them.  Ever notice how sometimes
only one or two members of a house will show up at populace yet most of the
housemembers will be there for the activity mentioned at said populace?
Sure sounds like communication to me...
So, if you wish to stay informed the info is out there.  It's up to you to
get that info, no one is keeping info from the people.  If you wish to stay
uninformed that is YOUR CHOICE.  Don't go around blaming others for your own
chosen ignorance.
There.  I am off my soap box now.  You can relax!
Zen hugs to all.
Gwynn
PS: remember the 13th of August!  Come and watch the sky fall!