RF - Black, White and Sort of Gray X / 2000

AMH/DBLJ orthart at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 15 01:32:52 PDT 1999

Greetings all,

A quick update on BLACK, WHITE AND SORT OF GRAY  X  -  A FAREWELL TO THE
FLESH.   There are three main words for this event... Mardi Gras,
Equestrian and Bardic.  OK that's four words, but it's only three
things.

Equestrian will be an "Emprise" tourney.  I'm not sure what that is but
I've been told that it is colorful in the extreme.  The Stargate
Equestrian Guild will be running it.  Also attached to this is a
decorative helm contest.  I think the flash the horses will bring is
just what we need for a Carnival celebration.  I've been offered two
horses that are broke to pull but have not found a cart or wagon yet.
Any one know of one ??

The Bardic competition will be in the spotlight as well.  I hope to give
more than one large prize here as well as lots of small largess.  Extra
points for poems, songs and pros dealing with death and masking.
Instrumentals will have their own prize.  Scrolls are being made for
both Bardic and Equestrian as I type.

As always we will give prizes for :  Ax, Spear and Knife Throwing,
Archery, Heavy and Light List, the Barroom Brawl, and the Sunday Grand
Melee.  Sorry no A&S this time.  A best costume / mask prize would also
be appropriate.

For those of you that weren't around when it was talked about...  At
Carnival in Medieval times an effigy of a man made of wicker and
decorated was venerated as the king of Carnival, then burned symbolizing
the "farewell to the flesh".  ( "Carnival" roughly translated is "a
farewell to the flesh" )  Ours will be a Rattan Man representing our
fallen Ansteorran fighters.  In the end it will be burned for the
"farewell".  Small pine trees and wicker may be substituted if enough
rattan is not rounded up.  Old rattan donations and structure ideas are
greatly appreciated.  Ideally, the Rattan Man will spend the day and
share feast with us, then be "paraded" to the bonfire and set ablaze.

Lord Segird the Volsang will be doing feast.  Baroness Gwynn the Lizard
Keeper and team will cook crapes, a traditional Carnival food.  I will
NOT be bringing Jell-O shots, although Baron Zork and I will have some
fine homebrews.

Baron David Saint David will run the heavy list.  Baron Zorcon of Lizard
Keep will run the light list.

No one has volunteered for head troll yet.  Gee, I wonder why.  I have
not talked to our land agent yet, but if we can't get trolls for the wee
hours of the morning we may lock the gates.  That will be announced.

What we really need are PRIZES, PRIZES, PRIZES.  To keep cost low Black,
White and Sort of Gray has always asked for donated prizes.  If you make
ANYTHING please donate.  We will find a competition for it.  If it's
store bought with a SCA flavor and collecting dust, donate it.  We also
need very small things as largess for the Bards and players.

Well that's it for now.  I'm sure I've forgotten something important and
will think of two seconds after pressing "send".  If you have any
suggestions or want to be a part of all this, please contact me, Marius
Atreidae, your friendly neighborhood Autocrat or my second, Baroness
Chrystal of Raven's Fort.  Let the good times roll !!!!

Pax,
Lord Marius Atreidae
aka Douglas B. LeJeune
281-367-3409