RF - re: tavern & water for early spring event

Paul niklas at wt.net
Wed Sep 27 12:46:00 PDT 2000

Hi All,

I feel that I need to address the subject as to why the meeting agenda's
are arranged in the order that they are.

I have been participating with Ravens Fort for about 5 years now. I have
done several events as steward and feast steward as well as having been
lead person on a number of projects that needed to be discussed in populace
or officers meetings.

After several years of watching and waiting to give my report, on whatever
project I was involved with, only to be last or near last and have only
a few minutes and rushed in my report and with little to no discussion
on the subject, I made some major changes on the agenda's format of business
when I became Seneschal.

As most know, we now dicsuss the upcoming events and business items at
the first of the meetings, so the presenters may have a maxiumn amount
of time for discussion and questions on the subject.

This has worked out very well. There have been a few times where the person
involved has not yet been present and we have postponed the report/discussion
till they arrived. However, this does not happen often and has not been
an issue.

I have had many good and positive comments about this change and have moved
forward with it's continuation.

I and others, that I have seeked their counsel, have felt that the officers
reports are important, but most of it (the officers reports) are not time
sensative and usually have limited questions and discussion.

Add to this, the fact that the officers should place in the Quoth, their
written report of what they would be reporting in the meetings. If there
are new additions or information to that persons office that needs to be
brought forth, then the meeting is a good place to do so, but, yet not
repeat what has been printed.

In our meetings, we have about 2 hours (7pm to 9pm) to get our business
done. Often we do not get the meetings started till 7:30pm due to lack
of attendees.

However, by 7:30-7:45pm we have the usual 30-35 people in attendance and
have a productive meeting.

Perhaps we can get started at 7pm and give more time for reports and such.

Combine all this together and that is why I have done what I have done.

Btw, for what it is worth, in checking with most other groups, most follow
a similiar agenda order as we do now.

I feel that this makes the most of what little time we have in the most
efficent manner.

At any time, I am happy to recap what has been gone over for folks that
arrive late.

I would like to have someone take minutes if possible and write them up
for publication in the Quoth. Any takers?

Recently (at Elfsea Baronial last weekend) Master Richard Fairborn, Kingdom
Seneschal and Mistress Charla gave the first "New & Improved" Seneschals
class. This is a class that all B&B's, Senschals, and
 Reeves must attend in the next 6 months. Senschals also must take the
Reeves class (which is being redone and it is suggested for the B&B's).

Back to my point..... In the class it was suggested that an agenda format
like the one we use be used for the reasons that I have listed above.

So, that is why I am formating the meeting agenda's the way I am for Populace
and Officers meetings.

I hope all understand why I do this. If not, let me know.

In Service,

Ld. Niklas Vasilevich
Seneschal of The Barony of Ravens Fort