RF - fighter practice

Carla Southern clarissima at excite.com
Sun Apr 15 11:48:49 PDT 2001

Ciao,

I think we should have practice twice a month, in Huntsville.  There have
been months where no one shows anyway, and if you are a fighter and want to
practice, get in your backyard, call a friend and practice.  We are spending
a lot of time (years now?) debating this issue.  We have ebbs and flows in
participation and that is a fact of life.  Personally, it really irrates me
when I show up, sit with the knight marshall for 2 hrs and no one shows up,
we drive an hour back home, and the next day someone is on the list whining
that no one showed up for practice.  We have had this problem for a long
time, is it really a problem anymore?  Hasn't the Barony shown that a weekly
fighter practice doesn't work for us?  Is adding more practices really a
solution?  Is shutting the rest of the Barony out, with the attitude that if
you don't live in Huntsville, too bad, the solution?  Those ten fighters
jean-michel mentioned really don't show up to practice regularly anyway, why
should this decision be based on their convenience?  Isn't it convenient
enough for them now, and they don't show up?  Maybe the Barony has evolved
to a point where the members have more important things to do with their
time than devote a Sunday to fighting.  Maybe we should be encouraging
travel on weekends instead of practice.  It really seems like it isn't the
improvement of the fighters, but the endorsement of the Barony that is
worrying everyone anyway.  Maybe we should evaluate the way the Barony
reaches out to new or potiental members, since having fighter practice as a
demo hasn't worked for at least a year.  Possibly have mini-tourneys in
Conroe, The Woodlands, Shepherd, Willis, etc. to pump up membership.  I have
yet to hear someone mention improvement of fighting technique as a reason to
have fighter practice. I don't fight, but by being married to the knight
marshall, this effects me also.  I am tired of spending Sunday's in
Huntsville to watch the grass grow at the Gazebo when no one shows for
practice, or they show up at 3:30 and we have to stay until 6 because
everyone's all geared up to fight.

Clarissima

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:02:57 -0700 (PDT), Ravensfort at ansteorra.org wrote:

|Greetings,
|
|  well, i have seen many thoughts and comments on
|  fighter practice and i need to express mine so that
|  every one can see them.
|  1st, there are only a handfull of fighters in this
|  barony, sir kief, HE brian, HE dsd, lords cahail,
|  william, kris(still fairly new to fighting, myself
|  (jean-michel) and Lady Hrafna are the only ones that
|  attend fighting on the heavy side with regularity. HE
|  chrystal, Don Zorkon, cahail and hrafna occasionally
|  fighting on the light side.  That is only ten fighters
|  that attend practice on a somewhat regular schedule.
|  This is augmented by about ten more supporters.
|
|  2nd, how many of these hail from the conroe area, two,
|  that is william and cahail.These both attend practice
|  in huntsville. So does having a practice in the conroe
|  area warrant the attention. I think that it is not a
|  good idea, the scheduled candy cane park practice has
|  changed twice that i know of, even when attended is
|  usually smaller than the huntsville practice. I think
|  that we should boost attendence at our "main" practice
|  and try to do demo's in that area to encourage
|  interest. These are usually more organized and people
|  respond better when we have an activity taking place.
|  Such as a mini-tourney.
|
|  3rd, So can we try and organize a mini-tourney in the
|  conroe area once a quarter to encourage attendance and
|  do a small demo for recruitment purposes.
|
|  These are just my thoughts but they do have a sound
|  reasoning behind them. Any comments are welcome but
|  all those that have commented seem to support the
|  ideas that i have expressed.
|
|  i am
|  jean-michel

|  Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail.
|  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Grazie
Clarissima

"If . . . you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
horrible warning."
--Catherine Aird