RF - Fighter Practice...Was Candy Cane

Peer2 Peer2 at email.msn.com
Fri Apr 13 13:55:04 PDT 2001

Although having fighter practice in the same place every time would keep
things simpler, I'm not sure that would solve the attendance problem. As for
scheduling, I offer this instead.

First Sunday - The Gazebo
Second Sunday - Candy Cane Park
Third Sunday - The Gazebo
Fourth Sunday - The Stones
Any Other Sunday - The Gazebo

I strongly suggest that we move the Candy Cane Park practice to the second
Sunday because some of us (like me) often haven't realized a new month has
started until we are several days into it. This gives the benefit of having
the first Sunday at a standard, reliable location with no surprises or
snafu.

The practice at the Stones would be a multi-function practice that can also
be used for Archery, Knife Axe & Spear, minor site prep, and whatever else
strikes our fancy. In those times of the year that the site is closed, we
could certainly have it elsewhere, with the Gazebo as a "default" location
or experiment with field-testing other locations.

It was my understanding that the problem with the current Gazebo practices
was not a matter of location, but one of time. Frankly, I can't see how to
resolve that. We all have very different schedules and many of us are going
to be missing out regardless of what time we eventually decide on. Private
practices would be the best alternative, but then we run the risk of having
the private practices killing off the official practices. I just don't know
how to fix the timing problem.

The major reason I have heard for abandoning the Gazebo and moving the
primary practices elsewhere was for recruiting purposes, as the folks in the
Gazebo area gave become used to us. Frankly, it would help our recruiting
much more if we started showing up in garb. No fancy stuff, just a tunic and
boots. People passing by don't see us as the SCA anymore. They just see us
as "those guys that beat on each other every Sunday."

Hmmm . . . I guess that's all for the moment.

-- Cedric Aeschere Einarsson
Peer2 at msn.com