RF - I travel by boat soon

Peer2 Peer2 at email.msn.com
Wed Apr 25 21:00:59 PDT 2001

Fare thee well, friend and brothar, but be wary when you reach Byzanth.
Those people are filled with a strange breed of treachery. Trust not their
words nor their offerings, and keep your own council on matters of travel. I
have been in that land in the past, and I cannot say it was a pleasure,
although I did profit from the journey. No doubt you will find many great
things if you find these libraries.

I have heard of a wondrous device made by the Greeks before Byzanth rose to
greatness. It is said that it was a wooden box held fast with nails and
hinges instead of mortises or strappings. On one side was a brass or copper
disk with the symbols of moon and sun etched upon it. It is said that inside
contained metal wheels all interlocked like a great puzzle and which could
be turned by a small level. I am told that these rings can predict the path
of the sun and stars anywhere on the face of the world. This may be pure
fancy, and it sounds like a mummer's lie to me, but such a thing would have
great value to our steersmen if it were true. No doubt that word of this
device must be hidden within the great libraries, if it truly exists.

Fair seas and good winds, Athaulf.

-- Cedric