[Ravensfort] My 2 cents

Elaine Deleon elainescalists at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 16 08:12:49 PDT 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
Vivat Niklas! Vivat Kezia!

I think you will do a wonderful job and will support you 100%

As for secrecy in polling - it causes problems either way. I've considered
Ravensfort my home for a long time now, and it has been many moons since my
membership last counted to Bryn Gwlad. However, I do (for 24 hours yet) still
live in Austin and did live in Austin when Bryn Gwlad had it's last baronial
polling. My roommates were very involved in the barony and, while I did not
participate in the polling (I didn't consider it my barony), I still had a
decent view of the process. From what I can tell, it didn't help to know who
got the most votes. People still got their feathers ruffled, and *knowing* who
had the most support seemed to make people more irritated that those persons
did not become B&B. But it's a POLL, not a VOTE. As Mistress Clarissa said,
Pendaran and Jehanne did not have the most support - they weren't first or
even second. But they did have support, and Their Graces Kein and Alisha
thought they would be best for the job. Now every time I travel outside of
Bryn Gwlad I hear many people talking about their wonderful courts, ideas,
pagentry, etc. I don't think I've been to an event in a couple of years where
someone has not said something about wanting to be "more like Bryn Gwlad" when
discussing neat ideas in the SCA.

Why do I say this? Pendaran and Jehanne did not "win" their polling, but they
were the choice of the crown based on their qualifications. The crown made a
good decision in that case, and I believe this crown has done the same here in
Ravensfort. I know Niklas and Kezia have opposition in this barony - Pendaran
and Jehanne had alienated a lot of people too at one time.  I also know Niklas
and Kezia *do* have support in this barony. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHO HAD THE
*MOST* SUPPORT. They may or may not have been the first choice of the
populace, but I know they had support, and they are VERY qualified for the job
(not trying to put down anyone else - like they said - we had a great crop of
candidates). Give them a chance and let's see if we don't end up hearing
people saying they want to be "more like Ravensfort."

Elaine de Lyons

Rubber of backs and bearer of roses
And Brewskald of Ravensfort!!! :-)