[Ravensfort] How say you?

jacinth jacinth at mail.ev1.net
Thu Jul 19 09:14:50 PDT 2001

Unto the populace and all guests reading this list:

After reading the backlog of messages in my mailbox from this list, I
feel honorbound to come forward.  I really hate to open myself up to
flames and argument, especially after all of the acid and bile I have
read on this list, but I think I will say my piece and get it over with
so that I can relieve myself of some of the anguish this has been
causing me and I believe we have all had enough of that on this
subject.  I'd prefer to speak to everyone individually to prove that I
am sincere, but I don't think that will happen before more serious harm
is done.  I am going to be brave; please listen with an open heart....

On July 7, 2001, we were given the announcement of who the rightful
heirs of their Sable-winged Excellencies would be:  Niklas and Kezia.
While I was relieved that I would not have to walk in their shoes, I
did feel a sort of trepidation at the decision.  Mostly, I knew that
it was likely not going to be good news for some folk in our family.
I am a peacemaker at heart, and I am devoted to the softer arts; I
truly would prefer that everyone could live and play together happily.
I would like to state that Their Royal Majesties did not make this
decision lightly, as they had a very hard decision to make about who
would be the new Baron and Baroness; each and every candidate had good
qualities that made them a desirable choice... all had strong points
and weak points.

While I would have prefered an open vote, I really doubt that it would
have stilled the complaints.  I personally feel that I am an adult and
quite capable of handling the knowledge that I am not the most popular
(which I've really never cared a hang about, anyway), or that there are
candidates that have more qualifications (I am what I am, so what does
it matter?).  Those who call me friend and sister accept me for who I am
and that is enough for me.  It is splitting hairs to complain over the
poll; I say that we were all equally well liked and probably came down
to the second line: who else would you like as the next B&B?  Niklas
and Kezia would not have gotten the nod if there hadn't been at least
that much, I'm sure.  After all, it has been pointed out several times
that this is after all is said and sifted a POLL.

I think that Athaulf is quite right that the complaints are not
necessarily causal to the announcement; that being the case, I think
that those that are dissatisfied or unhappy should make themselves part
of the solution instead of remaining part of the problem.  The trouble
is, it is easy to complain; the hard part lies in the fact that some
people are not willing to do anything about it.  Do you think that just
because we have a Baron and Baroness that you have to ask for permission
to do things like they are your Mommy and Daddy (no offense intended)?
It is usually polite to do so if it directly involves them, but on
things like 1) should we meet and do A&S, 2) I need to work on my
armor, can we get together so you can help me, 3) my fighting is out of
practice, and so is so-and-so, lets get together and work on it...
these do not require permission, so if you feel you want to organize
something, DO IT!  The biggest thing I have heard is that there has
been little attention to the Southern part of the Barony; if there
isn't something in your area and you don't want to drive to Huntsville
(which is a big complaint), then set something up!  Time and again I
have offered to do A&S for anyone in Spring, Conroe, and the Woodlands;
I hear of people who are interested, but when I scheduled something no
one showed up (except you my dear Clarissima... okay, and Hrafna).  I
challenge you:  if you want me to teach a class, I'll do it or find
someone who can (if it is something I have no experience in).  You get
me a time and place, and I am there.  If you don't know how to organize
it, then ask someone who does!  I'd happily give you advice on it from
my experiences.  If you are going to talk the talk, then walk the
walk.  If there is something else bothering you, then find someone who
will listen AND help you resolve it (don't just use it as a b**ch-
fest).  If you have a problem, I would be happy to listen and help you
get it fixed; I may not be Baroness, but I know how to work in the
system.  Honestly, ask yourself what you really want.  Are you
complaining just to complain, or do you have a legitimate gripe?  Is
there something that YOU can do about it?  One thing that I have learned
is that you have to take ownership in the problem before it will be
solved; don't expect someone else to do it for you.  If more people
kept that in mind, then perhaps more could be happier.  I can go on and
on about this (it is one of my biggest gripes), but I can't take
ownership of other peoples problems; at this point, I am probably
preaching to the choir, but maybe someone is listening?

As for forming a totally separate group, I believe that Cedric has a
right to do what he feels is best.  I respect his desire to support
the people in the area, however I do not agree that this is the right
time and place.  The way I see it, a group is a personification of
identity; you feel like you belong to a group.  That is why we had
groups like Bois de Argeant and such... people felt alienated and
thought they had no identity....  I am sad to think that feelings have
degenerated to a point where some of our own members no longer feel
that the are a part of Raven's Fort.  I challenge Niklas and Kezia to
change this feeling by doing what it takes to include EVERYONE so that
we all can be a family again; if someone organizes a regular meeting,
show up occasionally.... don't expect everyone to kowtow in
Huntsville.  Meanwhile, I will do my part; I will support A&S in the
area for anyone who is interested.  If there is anything else I can do
to serve my Barony, the Baron and Baroness has only to let their desire
be known to me.

At any rate, now is the time when we should be standing firm and
supporting the Barony!  We have the best group in the Kingdom.  I know
it, and others know it, too.  Give Niklas and Kezia a chance before you
condemn them.  If you have problems after the fact, then bring them
up.  Complaining about maybes and probablys before they occur is self-
defeating.  Even if you don't like them, at least give the titles the
respect that they are due; the Baron and Baroness are the
personification of the Crown in our group and should be treated as such.

Vivat the Baron!
Vivat the Baroness!
Vivat Raven's Fort!

Warm Regards,