[Ravensfort] A little perspective, please.

Peer2 Peer2 at email.msn.com
Tue Jul 17 17:36:31 PDT 2001

My name is Lord Cedric Aeschere Einarsson. I have had the honor of being one
of the candidates for the Baron's position. I was under consideration along
with Lady Katrine Karlsdottir. To those who supported our nomination, you
have my thanks. To those who did not, you also have my thanks.

Some of you evidently know little about me. I will remedy this now.

I joined the SCA in the summer of 1987. I played in Raven's Fort for three
years, then left this Barony (then Shire) for personal reasons. I played in
several groups and several Kingdoms during this time. I returned to Raven's
Fort in February 1999 and have been here since then. That's a total of 15
years, six of which were within Raven's Fort.

I was granted my Award of Arms in April of this year, under the reign of
Jason and Saereid and by the hands of Their Excellencies David and Chrystal.
To those who supported this reccomendation, you have my eternal gratitude. I
had given up completely on ever getting this, the most fundamental of all
SCA awards.

I am a Sweinbrothar and am on the House Pharus. I have been honored with
associate membership in the Fire Monkeys and, despite what some think, I do
consider it quite an honor. I have formerly been a member of House
Hammerhand (now called House Kiersted) and the ill-fated House O'Comhraidhe.
I have had the honor of serving as (then) Squire Kief's Page, but I left his
house because of an irreconcilable dispute with another member of his House.

I am currently the Live Steel Marshal for this Barony, and have served as
deputy Seneschal, Knight Marshal,

I am no one's sworn man, nor am I oathbound in any way to anyone in this
Barony. I am my own man. I have never reached great heights of achievement,
nor have I striven to. Such things carry a price which is often not worth
paying. But the greatest achievement I had reached was my integrity. I had
never before broken any promise I have ever made.

Until the matter of the B&B selection came up.

I given my word to a man of Raven's Fort and failed to carry out my promise.
I promised Marius that I would push to get all the questions about the B&B
selection resolved before the polling. Despite my best efforts, I failed.
For that, Marius, I am deeply regretful. I depended too heavily on the
integrity of others. It was a mistake I will not repeat.

That failure cannot be undone, but now I find myself dangerously close to
making another failure. One that would cause me to break my word to many
people, including the Crown. I promised Their Highnesses (at that time) that
I would support my people. I was quick to make this promise to them and
happy to do so. Many people in this Barony came to me and asked that I would
do whatever I could for the populace, win or lose. I gave them my word I
would.

My Kingdom and my People.

When I said earlier that I was not oathbound to anyone in this Barony, that
was true. I hold no oath to this Barony, but I am oathbound to every person
in it. And that is the root of the problem.

I love this Barony with all my heart. It sounds like a simple statement, and
it does not do justice to what I feel for this place, but they are the only
words I have. I would do anything for Raven's Fort. This was where I began,
this place helped make me who I am. There is no doubt that, had I not become
involved with this group when I did, today I would either be dead, in
prison, or worse. Integrity was a fancy word until I came here and learned
what it really meant.

Yet now I must take an action which may help damage the very thing I love,
and perhaps divide me from it permanetly.

It has been said that some of the candidates did not have all the
qualifications that were required. I cannot speak for the other candidates,
but Katrine and I were asked about very few of the qualities which Kief
mentioned. I am forced to wonder, "how does someone know about who I am and
what I can do if he does not ask?"

It is said that not all the candidates lacked transportation, that not all
could afford the expense, and so on. I will assume these were directed at
Katrine and myself, as I cannot speak for the others. This is for
clarification purposes, not for the sake of a dispute.

"The candidates needed to have working personal transportation." Unless I
read my odometer wrong, I have put over three thousand miles on my car since
this whole B&B thing started, and more than sixteen thousand so far this
year. If that's not working transportation, I don't know what is.

"The candidates needed to be able to monetarily support the station of Baron
and Baroness i.e. travel, clothes, et cetera." Unless someone has hacked
into by bank account, how would anyone know without asking. Everyone knows
I'm a penny-pincking fanatic who whines at spending $1.25 for coffee with
unlimited refills. But that is exactly how

Besides which, not all resources are financial. Both Katrine and I have been
blessed with several people who have volunteered to support us in our
efforts. Katrine has been offered a cost-free

7. The candidates needed to have a level of sustained activity not only in
the group, but also in the Region and in the Kingdom.
8. The candidates needed to have good support in the polling.
9. The candidates needed to have a good working knowledge of Kingdom Law and
the customs of the Kingdom.

Now that we have those criteria out of the way. Consider.

1. There were around 45 people at the polling meeting.
2. Only 37 or 38 gave their written opinion via the polling slips.
3. The Crown Heirs left the polling open to regular mail and e-mail for
another 10 days or so. An unknown number of polls/letters were received
during that time.
4. A goodly number of the populace (around 12) listed as "Raven's Fort" on
the membership roster actually play with Gate's Edge. Most, if not all, of
these good folk did not take part in the polling.
5. There were 44 paid members listed in the last member update from the
Office of the Registry.
6. Given the above numbers only about 32 paid members could have given their
written poll. Not all of these paid members gave their written poll, but
most of them did.
7. There was somewhere between 40 and 50 polling slips and proxy letters
given/sent to the Crown Heirs in total.
8. On those polling slips and proxy letters the populace was asked to give
their first and second choice to indicate which *of those candidates they
would accept* as the new Baron and Baroness.
9. The *second* choice position was in case there was a tie or virtual tie
on the first choice, which was the case in the polling.
10. The figures above indicate that there were between 10 to 20 non-paid
participant written poll opinions submitted.
11. Consider these two full quotes taken from Corporate documents:
a. Benefits of membership:
Voting privileges in your local group - the membership rolls are used when
determining to whom to send pollings on group matters.
b. The Crown shall appoint a territorial Baron and/or Baroness according to
the laws and customs of the kingdom when a branch is granted baronial
status, or whenever a new Baron and/or Baroness is
required. The barony's opinion on the matter must be requested and received
in writing, and the appointments must not be substantively opposed by the
populace of the barony. Territorial Barons and Baronesses are officers and
must maintain appropriate membership status.
12. Given the above approximate figures roughly a bit more than half of the
populace that gave their written opinion via the poll were paid members.
13. The Crown Heirs, following the written guidelines of the Society for
Creative Anachronism Inc., weighed the *paid* membership polling slips and
letters heavier than those *non-paid* participants. (Note: 11.a. above)
Their Highnesses did not have to accept *any* of the non-paid participant
opinions but they nonetheless did so to seek out the opinion of the whole
group.
14. Following the laws and customs of Ansteorra the Crown Heirs, upon Their
elevation to the Crown of Ansteorra, appointed, in Their considered opinion,
the best candidates for the position of Baron and Baroness of Raven's Fort.
(Note: See 11.b. above)

>There is no way that
>I alone can tell the whole story.  I dare say that you know things that you
>are
>not willing to bring into the light of day.  It would not serve your cause.
>  Of
>course that is the way you guys do things isn't it ??

Your personal insult to my honesty and honor will be addressed at a later
time.

However, you are correct in your assumption that I know some things that I
am not stating in public. What I have not stated in public until now is the
fact that if the true numbers of polling opinions were known one of the
couples in the list of candidates would be publicly embarrassed. Another is
that the other three candidates were separated by a grand total of *4*
polling slips. I will leave you to your own conclusions as to whether the
successful and non-successful candidates were "substantively opposed" or
not. I can tell you without any qualm that the successful candidates were
not "substantively opposed".

>I'm sure you noticed that when you  (hoping that the weight of your high
>standing would attract otherwise lost supporters) asked who from the
>populace
>would stand by you and take whatever bed pan contents that was poured on us
>from above no one answered the call.  Can you guess why ??

You, Marius, have insulted the Crown once more. You do this at your peril.

Yes, I went out on a limb in calling for support for the successful
candidates and for Raven's Fort. I care not whether many or few answered my
call, I called for support *from* the Barony *for* the Barony. It was up to
each individual to answer or even read my missive. I could do no less than I
did. I stated in my letter that I am the Crown's sworn man. I also am
Raven's Fort's sworn man, I must and will support the Crown and the Barony I
can do nothing less. Do not get me wrong, I am not supporting Niklas and
Kezia because it's the Crown's will that I do so...nor because they are my
friends and he my protege. I am supporting them because I know that they are
the best candidates for the position of Baron and Baroness at this time.
Every one of the candidate couples are tied to me in some way...either
through "family" ties or through oaths of service.

We represent a feudal society in the SCA and especially here in Ansteorra.
It is and has been the custom in Ansteorra that the Crown's word is law. The
Crown has given Their considered opinion, that settles the matter. Our job
is to get on with the Barony's business, to prepare for the Investiture of
Niklas and Kezia at this fall's Defender of the Fort. The Crown will
certainly not change Their mind in this matter, nor will the BoD intervene
except to return this matter to the Kingdom Seneschal for disposition.

>It's not because we
>don't respect you.  We do.  More hints ??... Can you guess why the only
>Vivat
>came from outside our area ??  Can you guess why when the "heart broken"
>announcement was originally made on this post the silence was ear
>shattering
>when normally we would have been flooded with congratulations ??

Your "sour grapes" will avail you nothing. I see only *your* words on this
list. I do not see anyone else calling for "letter writing campaigns". I do
not see any one else insulting the Crown and the Kingdom's officers. Just
you. Alone. Where is *your* support? Are they all hiding in the shadows
waiting, like you, to assassinate the character of someone else? If you, any
of you, have problems with the Crown's decision, then speak your mind here
and now or hold your peace.

Bah...Marius your position is weak and your words are hollow.

I cannot speak for anyone else but myself. I do congratulate Niklas and
Kezia on their pending elevation. They have a hard job to do, as any of the
candidates would have had, and it's the populace's duty to support them and
the Barony in our efforts to succeed in all our endeavors.

>If you are vexed I hope for your sake you can adjust.  I will not be
>taunted
>into a urinating contest with you with hollow name calling and meaningless
>insults.

I am vexed at your petulance and unfounded accusations. You *will not*
support your position and I and any others that read the letters on this
list can only assume that you and your "crusade" have *no* support. Where is
your grassroots support, your groundswell of volunteers pouring out their
dismay? I hear no gnashing of teeth, I read no condemnation of the
successful candidates.

It is time for you to set aside this series of unfounded accusations and
return to the support of the Barony, to give up your efforts to undermine
and destroy the efforts and hard work of us all.

Again, either lay your cards on the table...or fold and be silent on the
matter. There is no other course.

>Pax,
>Marius

With Love for Barony and Kingdom...