[Ravensfort] Perspectives, Part Two

Kief av Kiersted sirkief at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:22:23 PDT 2001

Heilsa Athaulf...

You did write some thoughtful and informative words, to wit:

>Perspective is needed at this point.
>I will agree.
>
>1. We had a selection of a new Baron and Baroness.
>
>2. Some people are dissatisfied.
>
>I would like to point out that an equally valid sequence of the above two
>events could look like this.
>
>1. Some people are dissatisfied.
>
>2. We had a selection of a new Baron and Baroness.
>

>I do not see the selection of a new B&B as a causal event for the fact
>people are upset. Anyone who has been on this list for a while know that
>the
>"issues" are not new.

**snipped**

>There was not a conspiracy to squeeze the Cleveland group out of existence
>by starving them off. There was not a conspiracy to squeeze the Cleveland
>group out of existence by keeping them in the dark. (Both Doyle Angus
>(seneschal) and I were accused of this.)

Excellent bit of history.

>I have had my share of disagreements with the Barony in the past, but at
>heart I find myself a Raven's Forter to the core.

Ja...agreement here. We have *all* had disagreements with the Barony in the
past. And, brother, you *are* Raven's Fort to the depths of your strong and
true heart.

*good words edited*

>I have been inactive in the affaires of the barony, because one of
>seneschals in the past told me that if I object to my young children
>hearing
>the word "fuck" in populace meetings, then I should leave them at home.
>They
>did not feel it was their job to run a meeting where people's "free speech
>rights" were infringed upon.

Umm...Charley, *exactly* who was that seneschal? (Please send me a private
answer if needful. I really want to know...although I think I know the
answer already...)

**words snipped**

>I didn't
>even attend the B&B polling meeting, because one of the officers warned my
>wife that it would not be a good place to bring my kids. I agreed. In my
>value hierarchy, family first, SCA some where behind that.

I'm sorry to read that was the reason that y'all stayed away...I thought it
was the bad weather at the time. The meeting was excellent with no sign of
controversy. And no antics by any member of the populace. Much less any foul
language...

>I will also say this about Marius's postings. He has not threatened to
>quit.
>He does not want to further tear the Barony. He is willing to fight with in
>the barony for what he wants. I probably should have done the same thing. I
>should have threatened to whip the ass off of people who can't keep their
>vocabularies in check when several small children are in the room. That is
>not my style.

Ja...Marius and I have our differences on the way things are done. As well,
Marius has a problem with the whole procedure of selection...and has spoken
on the matter at some length. Marius has been and is one of the most
tireless workers in the Barony over the years. While I can respect his
position I just wish he would argue from a factual basis and not on overtly
emotional issues.

>If you feel you must quit, then do so. I however remain a Raven Heart.

Exactly my feelings on the matter...

Thank you for the excellent letter and the history lesson as well.

>Athaulf Sweinbrothar ORH and other less meaningful titles

Wæs Þu Hæl in TroÞ and FriÞ...!
Kief
"Better the Hammer than the nail..."