[Ravensfort] Re: My 2 cents

Kief av Kiersted sirkief at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:59:51 PDT 2001

Heilsa Katrin...!

Brava...brava....! *Excellent* letter! (No joke! This is a fantastic
response.)

Since the original letter was sent "in the clear" I will respond to it in
like manner. In this missive I have done my utmost to be factual, honest,
objective, and open. I am not taking Katrin to task for her error in
posting, nor for taking *me* to task for statements I have made in the
public forum. That being said......

You did send these words:

**********
>Heilsa Sir Kief,
>
>You Wrote:
>“Consider what Their now Majesties had to go on to choose a new Baron
>and Baroness here in Raven’s Fort”

**list of laws edited**

>To the best of my knowledge all four candidate couples met all of
>these requirements.
**************

Ja...that y'all did.

**************
>You Added:
>“2. The candidates all needed to live within or near the borders of
>the Barony.”
>
>Kingdom Law specifies within the borders and H.E. Clarissa supported
>this.
**************

The current Kingdom Law on-line is out-dated. In order for HE Barn and HE
Kat to assume the High Seats in Wiesenfeuer, Kingdom Law had to be changed
to allow people living outside the boundries of the group to be eligible for
the Baroncy. The reason that I brought up this very point in the meeting was
to insure that HL Jacinth *could* participate. I did not want her to be
blindsided by a "residency requirement".

**************
>“ 3. The candidates needed to be ‘couples’.  There could be no single
>sitting Noble.”
>
>H.E. Clarissa, acting on behalf of Their then Royal Highnesses,
>stated that Their Highnesses preferred couples, they did not desire a
>single sitting Noble.  Yet, when asked directly about this at the
>June 17th meeting she did NOT say that a singular candidate would be
>disqualified.
***************

Hmmmm...I thought that she had said that a single candidate would have no
chance of elevation. In any case, it is still my firm belief that Their
Majesties would not have elevated a single candidate to the Baroncy.

****************
>“4. The candidates needed to have working personal transportation.”
>
>As all the other candidates do, I’ll take this personally.  First and
>foremost, it was NOT stated as a requirement until after the
>polling.  Second, had anyone asked I would have told them that I had
>already arranged to purchase an automobile that I will have custody
>of on August 22, 2001.  That would provide me with working personal
>transportation before Defender.
****************

On this matter I will declare myself in error. Not in the fact that each
couple needed to have working personal transportation but in the fact that I
did not dig deep enough to find out that you had arranged to receive a car
later in the year. All I had to go on was your statement that you had to
depend on friends for all your transportation needs. As well, Cedric is
driving his grandfather's car...even though he has use of that vehicle most
of the time...it's still not his personal transportation.

As far as it not being stated as a requirement anywhere in the written Law
of the SCA or Kingdom of Ansteorra, that is quite true. However, the
*custom* of the Kingdom and common sense would lead one to realize that a
working reliable vehicle is a necessity.

As well, if I offended you on this point I hereby apologize and ask for your
pardon. I was being as objective and as factual as I could without delving
off into every detail of each candidate's personal life.

**********
>“5. The candidates needed to have at least one method of rapid
>communication.”
>
>Again, Kingdom Law requires specifically a telephone.
***********

E-mail works almost as well...better in some cases since there is a record
of topics discussed.

************
>“6. The candidates needed to be able to monetarily support the
>station of Baron and Baroness i.e. travel, clothes, et cetera."
>
>I can not speak for any other candidate couples, but unless the
>stations of Baron and Baroness require significantly more than
>$2,000.00 a month, Lord Cedric and I met this requirement.  Someone
>who has worked with me in another non-profit organization offered
>that additional support for a period of five years.  When we were not
>chosen, the first year's funds were returned with thanks.  As for
>clothes, all three seamstresses are still sewing...
**************

Quite impressive. Again, I am not so prying as to inquire into the intimate
personal finances of each of the candidates. I could only state from my view
as an outsider of any *visible* indicators of affluence. Many is the time I
heard both you and Cedric described as the "starving student" type. As well,
Cedric himself told me many times that "money was a problem" in his personal
life. I can only comment on what I can see without delving into your
personal life deeper than I should.

Again, on this point I find myself in error. Once more I do apologize to you
and Cedric for any false assumptions on my part and request that you give me
your pardon.

*****************
>"7. The candidates needed to have a level of sustained activity not
>only in the group, but also in the Region and in the Kingdom."
>
>Reasonable criteria, although not stated by any source prior to the
>polling.  I must admit I have never applied at the regional level.
>(I have applied at the local, Kingdom and corporate levels.)  Are you
>defining "activity" as having been a warranted officer or by
>participation?  I ask because it makes a difference how well not only
>I, but also all other candidates met this criteria.
**************

The term activity is used loosely to describe participation primarily and as
an officer in a secondary sense. Being an officer is usually described as
"experience". This was, perhaps, you and Cedric's weakest point. The other
candidates were much more widely traveled in the surrounding Regions and
across the Kingdom. They all had more experience in witnessing how other
Baronies were run and, perhaps, knew the other Landed Nobility more
intimately than either of you. In traveling more widely the other candidates
had a greater knowledge base of the pitfalls and the intensity of being a
seated Noble. This apparent lack of intimate knowledge can only be addressed
by a higher level of travel and observation over an extended period of time.
Again this is only my opinion and observation. Please correct me if I am in
error.

**************
>"8. The candidates needed to have a good support at the polling.  Not
>all did."
>
>As only three people know the numbers, H.E. Clarissa, and Their
>Majesties, how could you, or any of us, know?
**************

In a way you are quite correct. However, while I do not know the exact
numbers I do know the "point spread". One set of candidates did not do as
well, by a fair margin, as the other three.

**************
>"9. The candidates needed to have a good working knowledge of Kingdom
>Law and the customs of the Kingdom.  Not all did."
>
>Two responses to this one:
>
>First, you forgot to mention Corpora and the By Laws.
**************

Indeed, I was remiss in not mentioning the governing documents of the SCA
Inc.

However, I was concentrating on the obvious. The Laws of Ansteorra are of
paramount importance to a Landed Noble. Our Law, while unique to this
Kingdom, is based on SCA Corpora and, to a lesser extent, the By-Laws of the
Society. What is of importance here is not just the letter of the Law but
the intent, the working application of the Law, and the oral and practiced
*customs* of the Kingdom. You have exhibited an *excellent* working
knowledge of the current posted Laws of the Society and the Kingdom of
Ansteorra. For that I give you respect and word fame. But, to understand and
apply the Laws and customs of the Kingdom you need more exposure to the
everyday utilization of those documents and traditions. I feel that you and
Cedric did not have sufficent experience as officers nor exposure to the
everyday application of the Laws and customs generated by extensive travel
and involvement in the business of Courts, participation/observation in
higher level meetings, and the various activities surrounding the running of
other Baronies/groups.

*************
>Second, as I know that Lord Cedric and I do have this knowledge, I am
>insulted on behalf of all the other candidates!  I have been studying
>these documents and the customs of this Kingdom in depth for the last
>three years.  Who I sit that you think does not have this knowledge?
>Don Zorcon?  H.E. Gwen?  Lady Jacinth?  H. E. Brian?  Certainly not
>H.L. Niklas and H.L. Kezia?  Talk to whomever you believe is lacking
>in this area; you might be in error.
**************

There is no need for you to be insulted by my statements either toward you
and Cedric nor toward the other candidates. Each and every one of these good
people have different levels of experience and participation in the
processes of running a group, a Region, a Kingdom, and the Society at large.
I count myself as a higher level player on the political stage of the
Kingdom...yet I will be the first to tell you that I certainly do not know
it all *wry smile*. There are plenty of other folk out there that make my
knowledge base look like a comic book compared to a research library... You
all can take my comments any way you want to. Some of the candidates were
certainly better prepared than the others. Some of you not quite as well as
was needed. If anyone is wondering just who I'm talking about I will
certainly be forthcoming with my opinion...all you have to do is ask and I
will reply privately...or publically if that is what you wish.

(Damn don't I have a big ego.....)

******************
>Glad to be done with issues of criteria…
******************

Indeed...! An excellent bit of research and well written. You have taken me
to task quite well and I applaud your effort...! Well done.

*****************
>I thought H.E. Clarissa stated at the polling meeting that we had 44
>voters.  I'll have to ask her to be sure.  We had at least ten more
>people present that did not cast a ballot at the meeting.
*****************

Ja...I am a touch vague on the actual numbers that submitted their poll at
the meeting. As well, I have no clue to the exact number of people that sent
in e-mail or normal post letters/polls.

There *were* a goodly number of paid members and non-paid active
participants that did not bother to send in their opinion via the polling
process. *Their* opinions might have made a difference in the results *if*
they had participated. (Ja...this is a shot at all you folks that didn't
take the time to participate...)

****************
>How do you get a member update from the office of the registry?  I've
>requested one several times to use in creating an up-to-date Domesday
>Book.
*****************

The Office of the Registry will send an updated list of members to any
officer for a fee. These lists can be "sorted" in a variety of ways. I.e.
Alpha-sort, zip-sort, et cetera. However, they will not send a list with
address or phone numbers intact...just the basic Society name, legal name,
zip code, et cetera.

You can ask the seneschal for an updated copy as well. I believe that the
Kingdom Seneschal gets a new issue on a regular basis...our local seneschal
usually has no problem getting an update if he requests it.

**(waving at Niklas)**

******************
>I gave a promise to Their now Majesties to support the people of
>Raven's Fort.  This exactly what I am doing.  It is my request that
>everyone quit pushing for names of those dissatisfied by the Crown's
>decision.  If you must ask, request the numbers not the names.  No
>one who has spoken to me wishes their name to be given to those "in
>power" for fear of retribution.  I can only recommend that they band
>together and let Their Majesties know of their displeasure as per the
>complaint process.
>These people feel that the local Seneschal and landed Nobles would
>not pass the information up the line.  They have the same concern
>about the regional seneschal.  This makes the Crown and the Kingdom
>Seneschal the starting point for the complaint process.
******************

You are indeed doing exactly what Their Majesties requested of you. Thank
you for your stellar efforts.

On your second point I must disagree. Anyone can toss out a number... 10,
25, 42, 71... et cetera. Numbers without names are like hearsay,
meaningless. The folks that feel dissatisfied will *always* feel that way
unless they can resolve their inner disquiet. Contrary to "popular opinion"
the Society, the Kingdom, the Region, and the Barony of Raven's Fort *DOES
NOT* operate on a basis of fear. Exactly what kind of "retribution" do these
folks expect? A knock on the door in the middle of the night? Some "list"
sort of like the old "permanent record" from public school days that will
follow them around forever? Loss of their birthing days?! Nope...sorry it
doesn't work that way. I can say that the only way that these folks have of
resolving their difficulties is to actually trust the process. Think about
it... Public airing of problems... These e-mail lists do have archives.
Certified letters have return receipts...

Now I will tell you *all* something... I am most certainly insulted by the
mere thought that there are people that will not trust our seneschal, the
Baron and Baroness, or the Regional Seneschal. Fairly angry even. People,
the entire Society that *you* profess to believe in is based on Honor,
Honesty, and Trust. Sure enough, sometimes it doesn't work...but those times
are rare. Usually when an officer is found to be untrustworthy, dishonest,
or dishonorable they are quickly removed. Many times they are
banished...sometimes permanently. The dispute resolution process was
designed to work at the *lowest possible level* that being the local level
*first*. If you all send your complaints to the higher or highest level
first all that will happen is that it will be kicked back to the lower
levels for possible resolution. Your complaints *will* be heard and acted
upon...but *you* must trust in the process...and that process sometimes
takes time. There are checks and balances built into the system. No
legitimate grievance is ever ignored on purpose. Sure, there are times when
things get lost in the paper shuffle...but in that case just resubmit the
complaint in a timely manner. Believe it or not...the process will
work...but only if *you use it*... Don't forget...if your complaints are
sent *anomyously* they *will* be ignored! You have to sign it to be taken
seriously.

Please consider my words carefully.

The only way to get things done in an efficient manner is to trust in the
process and submit your grievances through the existing channels. Jumping
steps is *not* an option...your problems will just get kicked back to
someone that will be irked at having their superior breathing down their
neck. We all know what happens when things flow down hill...

I will offer this... If any of you have real problems getting your
legitimate grievances heard, come see me, I will assist you in any way that
I can. On this you have my word.

>Fru Katrin Kött Karlsdöttir

Once more, I give my respect and admiration to Katrin for her well thought
out and researched letter. *This* missive is an excellent example of how to
air your complaints and to correct misconceptions. I can only hope that my
reply is as well done...

In Love and Respect to Barony and Kingdom...

Wæs Þu Hæl in TroÞ and FriÞ...!
Kief
"Better the Hammer than the nail..."