[Ravensfort] Quippy Goths

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Fri Jul 20 15:44:41 PDT 2001

Well How much Latin would a Visigoth have known? Actually they were quite
fluent in Latin. Below is a set of quotes that Famous Romans used and the
Goths liked.

1. Bidamus, moriendum est.

2. Noli simul flare sobereque.

3. Quem to adservare recte, ne aufugait, voles, esca atque potione vinciri
decet.

4. Absentem laedit, cum ebrio qui litigat.

5. Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo.

6. Sine Cerere et Libero friget Venus.

7. Mulier cupido quod dicit amanti, in vento et rapida scribe oportet aqua.

8. Aperte mala cum est mulier, tum demun est bona.

9. Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri.

10. Mulier profecto natast ex Mora.

How good is your A&S knowledge. Can you figure out what they say?

Athaulf

(Most of these are rules I try to live by.)

(I will post the answers in a couple of days.)

Sometimes human beings are very much like bees. Bees are fiercely protective
of their hive, provided you are outside it. Once you're in, the workers sort
of assume that it must have been cleared by management and take no notice;
various freeloading insects have evolved a mellifluous existence because of
this very fact. Humans act the same way.
- Good Omens, by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman