[Ravensfort] Spiders...was...Work weekend (old)

Kief av Kiersted sirkief at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:26:08 PDT 2001

Heilsa Finn and the list...

The question of killing spiders was raised in a post from Finn about two
weeks ago...

My suggestion on the killing of spiders is that each campsite must do it on
their own.

The reasoning is this. Fire ants are much easier to see (mounds) and kill
(spot spraying). We are already spraying up to 400 gallons of insecticide
before any events during the warm season. Spiders are literally everywhere
and we don't have the time, manpower, nor money to spray the entire camping
area which would have to include the lower levels of the trees. I realize
that several people have a fear of spiders (I've been bitten several times
myself...*uggh*) but to broadcast spray the entire area would kill *all* the
insects from beetles to butterflys and still might not get all those hidden
crawlies...

So, clean and rake your camping areas, clear any deadfall, move any wood
piles away from where the tents are, and bring your own favorite spider
killing substance and use it liberally. Stay out of the old "outhouse"
privies...we haven't sprayed those in a while...*yikes* "Black Widows in the
Privy!"...it's an old filk song...but really does apply at the Stones
site...

Wæs Þu Hæl in TroÞ and FriÞ...!
Kief
"Better the Hammer than the nail..."