[Ravensfort] Defender

Cathal SilAlmhain silalmhain at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 18:58:51 PDT 2001

For those of you who don't know who suranna/suzy is,
she's an old-school ravensforter, who's seen just
about all the good times and bad times and love and
infighting that any one group can muster.  As to what
she had to say, I say Props to suzy--or as we might
say in SCA-speak, Huzzah!

Cathal

--- Suzann Tabares <isabunny at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Well good morning,
>
>  Most of you will probably scratch your heads a bit
> and wrinkle your noses and have no idea who I am,
> though I hope some will remember and perhaps smile.
> Normally I read the posts and stay quiet, unless
> something strikes close to home. Lochlann's words
> for
> example...
>
>  I'm a transplant Ravensfort member, meaning I live
> in
> Stargate but my heart is in Huntsville with you all.
> My first official SCA event was the night they made
> Kief and Alix Baron and Baroness. A night I still
> remember with the star struck awe that only a newbie
> can obtain, and not just a little bit of magic and
> wonder.
>
>  I watched from the sidelines as they walked down a
> candle lit path to their seats among the stones.
> Listened wide eyed to strange phrases I had yet to
> understand, and felt a part of something so special
> and so much larger than myself, for the first time.
> I fell in love.
> With the SCA, with the dream and with Ravensfort and
> her people.Over time I experienced other places,
> other
> Baronies and met so many good people, but my heart
> remains tied to Ravensfort.
>
>  I remember meeting Crystal for the first time and
> being surprised as she took off her light mask. All
> that beautiful hair. ;) And I remember when I met
> David and he rode up on that horse the weekend of
> "the
> mud" where he was first called St. David of the
> Tractor. I have been blessed with their love and
> friendship for many years.
>
>  When Kief and Alix stepped down I thought my heart
> would break. As Lochlann said, it was like watching
> your parents leave, and yet even through my tears I
> watched my brother and sister step up into their
> shoes
> and knew, only the names had changed, the heart was
> still the same. Now the idea of them stepping down
> makes me feel so old. *grin* But I would'nt miss it
> for the world. I've missed so much over these last
> few
> years with real life always rearing its ugly head.
>
> I don't know the new Baron and Baroness, not by
> name,
> perhaps by sight..but Ravensfort has always been
> special. A special place with special people. That
> never changes. The names change..but the heart
> remains
> the same. Ravensfort's heart is its people. Those
> who
> are lucky enough to live there, and those of us
> lucky
> enough to find it. Even the bickering here is
> different than in other places. *grins* Like
> siblings
> who will never agree on what color Aunt Minnie's
> favorite china platter was she served Thanksgiving
> turkey on every year.
>
>  No, Im not trying to mock or simplify the disputes,
> [...]

=====
Cathal SilAlmhain
Title Bard of Graywood
Spring Artisan for the Barony of Ravensfort
"Fortune favors the bold."