[Ravensfort] Communication

aodhfionn at unforgettable.com aodhfionn at unforgettable.com
Thu May 24 11:50:42 PDT 2001

>1 Ever since I was new in the Barony (9 years ago, a number of people
>have griped that the "old guard" are too much in "control"
>
>Well, the "old guard"/"inner circle" have stepped back for the last
>couple of years so that people who perceive them selves as NOT part
>of the "innercircle" would be comfortable to be active in ways that
>affect the running of the Barony and the things we do at events...
>in some instances it has worked...Clarissama, William, Meaux, Hrafna,
>Cedric, Katrine and someothers have felt comfortable enough to come
>forward and lead through example...

1 I have not, in any of my posts to this list made a reference to such an
organization as the old guard or inner circle.  I find the people you list as
instances where it has worked to be very interesting examples.  They have all,
in my opinion, done wonderful jobs.  They are also all fairly new people, with
the exception of Katrine and Cedric.  I might be mistaken on that point.

In the cases of most of the names you mention, these are people who are willing
to be officers.  I find it very sad that you chose not to actually address my
post, but instead write one of your own so that you don't have to reply to the
things I said.  _Most_ do not wish to be officers.  This shouldn't be a
surprise.  We can't all be like you.  This doesn't mean we don't count.

Now, I have to make a comment that is simply not nice.  I could have avoided it
if I chose not to make a direct reply to your email, but I am not dodging your
specific statements.  I requote: "have felt comfortable enough to come forward
and lead through example..."  I can't speak for them, but 'felling comfortable'
is not the only reason someone steps up.  There is also 'having no other
choice'.  I'm sure there are even more that I haven't considered, but at least
I'm willing to admit that there can be mnore options.

>others are still griping...

Would you pease define griping?  Before you do, please, reread the post you
(according to the subject line) claim to be responding to here.  then read my
response to Jacinth.  Sure, you can point out that my first post on this subject
was completely out of line, but unlike my earlier attempts at reasonable
discussion, it received a reasonable response.  Because of that, and that alone,
I refuse to apologize for it.  I try to start reasonable conversations and wind
up in a fight.  I try to start a fight and wind up in a reasonable conversation.

>2 The people who APPEAR to be IN THE KNOW ae such because they keep
>consistant attention to things going on, ask questions if they  miss
>something, and seek out further information: whether in person or on
>line
>
>Remember that the people who VOLUNTEER to be responsible for things...
>have lives and their time and efforts aare not dedicated exclusively
>to the SCA. They are also not OBLIGATED to   make sure that information
>gets out in every possible way....

I really wish you had started with number 3 below, because it points out a
fundamental flaw.  Ragan and I are no more a united team than any supposed "old
guard".  Assuming we are and wording your responses as if we had consulted each
other on all of our posts is an error.

2.  I have tried to watch.  I have asked questions.  I _did_ volunteer.  Twice.
After three months of not learning anything the first time, even with questions,
I decided I would not be ready to step up and stepped out instead.  The second
time, I was turned down without a hearing.  Not one question to address the
concerns of others.  An assumption was made that I did not care because I wasn't
involved enough.  Well, here I am, getting involved.

I will disagree with you every time when you say, "They are also not OBLIGATED
to   make sure that information gets out in every possible way."  We are an
organization founded and built on the concept of information.  We are _all_
obligated to share information in every possible way.

>3.  You (Finn and Ragan) have referred time and time again to people who
>were ignored unjustly...are these people who come just to events?
>If so...our ACTIVE populace usually is working the event and tries
>to have time to socialize...but usually is so busy trying to make sure
>the event works...that they are not in the best state to make  connections.
>People have more time at populace  meetings, fighter practices, and guild
>meetings to get to know people and socialize

Very nicely worded slight.  I think it would have been more subtle and deadly a
zinger if you hadn't capitalized the word 'active.'

You have either made, or are attempting to influence others to make, two
erroneous assumptions.  The first is that Ragan and I are some sort of team.  I
often disagree with him, and until _very_ recently have always been taken aback
by his methods. The second is that I am not active because I do not care.  I
care a great deal.  In fact, since I have never had to deal with situations
nearly this hostile, and therefore never developed a thick skin, I have cared
too much for my own good.  My skin is thickening up.  Which is good, because I
can' seem to stop caring.

Now to do you the courtesy of addressing some of your specific points:

active populace is working at the event and is too busy to socialize:
True, entirely.  I do however wonder how you mean the terms 'active' and
'working'.  I will openly admit to not doing _my_ part recently.  I have
determined to do my part to correct that and ask for your help.  I have noticed
that some activities seem more acceptable than others, as far as recognition of
'work' is concerned.  Now, since this is about being ignored unjustly, I wonder
where socialization came in.  Answering a confused persons question, or
directing them to, for example, the hospitaller, is not socializing in my mind.
Gracefully greeting a newcomer without rancor or hostile questions is not, to
me, socializing, but it might be ' work'.    Noticing the work that others
around you are also doing does not seem to be socializing to me either

Also--

People have more time at...

Populace meetings:  I believe I covered the issue of meetings and time in my
earlier post.  Would you, please, be so kind as to read it.

Oh, and if you switch that to officer's meetings, you might remember that's
where I first tried to actually talk about this.  Oh duh!  I'm sorry.  I really
did just realize that you might have been talking about socialization because
you consider talking about real issues, these real issues, socialization.  Is
that the case?

Fighter practices:  Very good point.  Especially since these are often used to
recruit.  Why not show those potential members how we effectively handle
communication?

Guild Meetings:  At the risk of offending the list of guild masters on the web
site and in back of the Quoth, what meetings?  You mean making an appointment
with the guild master?  Aside from, possibly, Scribe's guild or Scroll making,
I'm not aware of any guild meetings that are regularly scheduled and attract a
siginificant number of people.

Done.

If you're going to respond to this, please read my earlier posts first.

Thank you,
Finn