[Ravensfort] B&B Populous Polling!

aodhfionn at unforgettable.com aodhfionn at unforgettable.com
Wed May 16 11:41:07 PDT 2001

Greetings unto Mistress Clarissa di Firenze, Baroness of the Court, and the
populace and leadership of the Barony of Raven's Fort.

I have repeatedly fought off the urge to reply to Mistress Clarissa's post to
this list because I knew that my thoughts were uncharitable.  I have considered
many things about this barony's current situation and those of the past.

I am quite certain that no matter how politically I phrase this letter that I
will upset people.  I have never failed to upset people when matters have
concerned me enough to actually speak up.  Well, enough,  I'm sick of the same
matters concerning me time and again.  If anyone feels the need to say anything
to me that is unkind, which I will endeavour to avoid here, I ask that they
email me privately and not burden the list.

I have been involved in Raven's Fort since 1987.  To many, this will not seem a
long time, and many others will wonder why I have not achieved more in this
time.  There is some conjecture on my lack of 'development' while being here,
but I will say that one of the main reasons is that I am by nature a watcher not
a doer.  I'm finished with not doing anything, and I am now here to say what I
have seen and heard.  I will attempt to relay only facts, but where this is not
possible, I will say so and invite correction--correction based on facts, not on
someone simply believing that I am wrong.

I'm doing this because the single problem that Raven's Fort has always had is a
lack of information.  Many times people have not known what was going on until
it was far too late.  Although those who have had or lacked information has
changed frequently, the lack of communication has not.

So, instead of continuing to grumble quietly, perhaps like many others, and
wonder when someone is actually going to step up and tell people what is going
on, I will now say what I *think* to be the case and wait for someone who knows
to correct me.

First, what I do not believe is happening:

I do not believe that there is a 'fix'.  I do not believe that anyone has even
been preselected as a front-runner; at least, not deliberately.  I also do not
believe anyone expects the populace to be the deciding factor in who becomes the
next Baron and Baroness, especially after being reminded twice now that this is
not a democracy.

Now, in order to say what I believe is actually happening, I have to give you a
series of _potential_ events that I have pieced together.  I am NOT saying that
these events actually occurred, but, given the information on this list and
public and semi-public conversations heard at meetings, that these events could
have occurred and explain the current situation.

First, some may remember that there were discussions over who was qualified, and
willing, to someday become Baron and Baroness when Jarl Timotheous Kalamanos and
Countess Allyson Tymmes moved away.  During these discussions, most that I
talked to were agreed that the only people who were qualified, and seemed to be
willing, were Lord Niklas Vasilevich and Lady Kiabarta Kezia. According to a
post to this list, in this very subject, the crown and other involved parties,
except the populace at large, were informed at Red Tape of the decision by Baron
David St. David and Baroness Chrystal Ariana MacRuari to step down.  I believe
that when this was announced someone would have rightly wondered if there were
any qualified candidates to take their place.  The only answer known at this
time was the same couple who had been mentioned earlier. Since Lord Niklas
Vasilevich is our Seneschal, he had to know about the upcoming transition so he
could help others organize what was necessary.  I think this is where the
confusion and suspicion got started.  Again, I don't believe anyone intended
events to turn out this way.

However, since the announcement was given to the populace, others have indeed
decided that they would be willing to serve the barony as Baron and Baroness.

I have heard of three couples who have expressed this willingness:
(I apologize for any inaccuracies in name and title)

Lord Niklas Vasilevich and Lady Kiabarta Kezia
Honorable Lord Brian du Val and Lady Jacinthe de Warwick
Lord Cedric Aeschere Einarsson and Lady Katrine Karlsdottir

I think it would be absolutely wonderful if all of our questions were actually
answered this Thursday, but history, previous attempts at getting information,
and repeated efforts to actually illustrate and open the 'lines of
communication' have shown that this will not be the case.  At least, not until
someone steps onto the chopping block, and actually starts sharing information,
no matter how doing so will affect them personally.

I would personally like to beg everyone who reads this to come to both the
Business Meeting this Thursday,  May 17th, and to the Populace on Thursday, June
7th.  In addition, please contact anyone you even think may not have heard this
news and invite them to attend.  If anyone, like myself, will have difficulty
attending because of transportation, I hope there are those out there who will
help with this.  I can understand scheduling conflicts, such as with work or
other prior commitments, and I hope that a recounting of events can be made to
those who cannot attend.

There is what I have.  Please feel free to step up here with me or begin
chopping away.

I am grateful for your attention and hopeful for the future.

Lord Aedh Finn Mac Cormaic