[Ravensfort] reply-list-finn

aodhfionn at unforgettable.com aodhfionn at unforgettable.com
Tue May 22 22:09:17 PDT 2001

Thank you, Mistress Deerslayer, for a reasonable response to an unreasonable
post.

>And many of us have listened...and when asked to come up with a solution
>you did not have one...the rest of us have tried....and we can't come
>up with anything you will accept.

The first times that I mentioned this, I got two types of responses.  The first
was a response of essentially 'What kind of problem are you seeing.'  After
which, argument ensued over whether or not what I saw was actually a problem.
The second was 'Since we've tried and failed, what can you do to solve the
problem.'  After which argument ensued because I'd brought up a sore point.

Note that in both cases, while trying to go through proper channels, argument
ensued.  Those circumstances were not conducive to open discussion.  Part of
this is my fault because I am not good at handling confrontational situations,
especially with those of more experience and authority, if they are held in
person and I do not have the time to consider my responses.  I know this is a
flaw.

>And you do not understand that every group goes through the same thing...
>What do you want? You want them to step in and do what?...what is your
>solution!!!!

With respect to your experience at a regional and kingdom level, I will accept
your statement that this happens to every group.  I find it very hard to believe
because what I see is killing this one.  If these other groups you mention have
indeed solved their problems, as they must have, please tell us which groups so
that we can use them as an example for taking care of our own.

I do not want the Royalty to step in.  I invoked them in much the same way that
some would invoke a diety or dieties.  In order to bring their attention to a
problem so that the rest of us will actually work to fix it.

A large part of 'my' solution is to fully use the communication methods that the
barony already has in place.  I have talked to others who have seen that
information usually only goes down two channels, when we have five, including
word-of-mouth.  That number increases to six if we do use your phone tree
suggestion below, which some have considered to be not so bad an idea.

>what do you think people are hiding?

I go back and forth with myself on this question.  Not on what people are
hiding, but whether it is actually being deliberately hidden.  Most of the time
I do not believe anyone is deliberately hiding anything, but we, including
myself, have gotten so used to information being so hard to get that we forget
that we are supposed to share what we know.  In other words, I believe the lack
of communication has become self-perpetuating, unless we work together to stop
it.

>> Looks like we just might lose a potential candidate couple for B&B because we
>> can't *($#! be civil to each other long enough to say hello and tell each other
>> what's new.
>
>okay...where have you been the past few years...

I'm sorry?  I'm afraid I don't even understand the question here.  Are you
saying that we have been antagonistic to each other for the past few years so
this is nothing new and therefore somehow justified?  Are you saying that this
is, instead, getting better and is then perfectly acceptable because it is not
as bad as it has been?  Am I missing the point completely?

>> If the Barony keeps this bullshit up, there WILL be two RAGAN'S.
>
>Wonderful....

I don't want to be that way, and what I said is actually a lie.  I don't have
the constitution to be like Ragan.  In that respect, I am a quitter.  When
things get bad enough, I do leave.

>I and many others have acknowledge there is a communication gap...and
>have been trying to figure out how to overcome it...what do you want
>people to do? you want us to personally call every person who ever thought
>they wanted to be part of the barony each time any activity happens...

I believe that the first step in finding a solution to any problem is to
_publicly_ acknowledge that problem.  That's right, not talking about it in
private with a small group of friends, like all of us have been doing.

Several have considered your suggestion of a phone tree and thought that it
might actually be a good idea.  I would _consider_ adding the clause that it be
used in addition to the email list and be primarily for those who do not have
dependable access to their email.  In other words, people should be given the
well publicized option of signing on to the phone list.  Then we will know who
has a desire to be on the list and not disturb those who do not.

>If people want to be involved they will...they will watch the net, subscribe to
>the newsletter, will go to meetings...what else do you want?

The list of available options for communicating:
Web Page, Quoth the Raven, Business and Populace Meetings, Word-of-Mouth, and
Phone Tree (which is really just organized word-of-mouth).

There are problems with each form of communication, and I hope some of them are
obvious, but I will rewrite something already written on this subject and post
it as soon as possible.  It doesn't cover Phone Trees, but the single problem
with them that *I* can see is that they are work intensive; those manning them
must be dedicated and conscientious.

>At least you didn't appear to be PC and mail the crown all your nasty
>little accusations privately like Marius did...

I don't know that PC has anything do with it.  I have tried dealing with this
privately, and with the appropriate people.  That didn't work, so I'm going
public.

> I and a lot of other
>> people are used to *being* pissed because people _won't_ talk and seeing others
>> that way when people _do_ talk.
>
>many people don't talk because they want the populace to make it's own mind
>up without being swayed.  If you don't know enough about the people
>you want to be B&B by now...you won't ever....

We *might* know enough about those who *might* be nominated for B&B, but I don't
think we know enough about the issues that will concern them.

... However ...

That comment was not about the B&B issue.  I consider the B&B issue to be
premature.  If anyone is curious, I don't think _anyone_ deserves to be burdened
with this barony in its current condition.

My comment above dealt specifically with those occasions where someone has asked
questions and not gotten answers, or where those giving the answers were frowned
at, glared at, interrupted, or told they weren't actually right, but no
corrections were given.  No, I can't give specific examples.  My memory bites,
and sometimes that is deliberate.  I like forgetting the unpleasant things.

I will rewrite what I already have written on this subject into a more
comprehensive and publicly consumable format and post it shortly.

Thank you, Mistress Deerslayer for your interest and attention in this matter
and for your suggestion of the phone tree.

Finn