[Ravensfort] RF Yule/Mongonlian Gift Exchange Xmas?

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Wed Nov 21 06:22:43 PST 2001

Ok, I'll bite since everyone else apparently knows what a Mongolian gift
exchange or they are too big of a wienie to ask.

What the heck is a Mongolian gift exchange?

I have been envisioning a process where everyone brings a gift and a dog.
You put all of the gifts in a pile and everyone takes a sword and gets on a
horse. Then you get one gift for every heart you are able to rip from
someone's chest. Afterwards we would then take all of the dogs and cook them
Mongolian style. (Known as woking the dogs.)

This has gotten me to thinking of other persona based gift exchange ideas.

Early English - Everyone declares that he is a king and his earthen hut has
a gift in it. Everyone else makes all kinds of alliances with all of the
other kings and spends the time trying to defeat each other. At the end of
the evening the kings that are left can divide the loot.

Middle English - Everyone brings a gift. At the beginning of the evening
some virulent plague is introduced. The 30% of the people who survive, get
to divide all of the gifts.

Later English - Everyone pretends that the gifts are French. You spend the
rest of the evening obsessing over the gifts, but claiming you are superior
to all of the gifts and therefore, don't need them.

Viking - The gifts are piled in a stack. Half the group pretends they are
Scottish, the other half pretends they are Viking. The Vikings sail to the
Scottish, then try to steal the gifts. At the end of the evening the
Scottish  people left alive get to divide the stack that remains. The
Vikings get what they stole.

German - Every one brings a gift, a sausage and a lot of beer. You start
eating and drinking and the last person left standing helps everyone else
get home. The gifts are ignored, because the beer and sausages were the
whole point of the evening.

Visigoth - All of the gifts are piled in a stack and then you go outside and
burn the building down. Then you get to sift through the ashes and find the
gifts.

Italian - Someone is selected to be the pope. Everyone gives all of the
gifts to the pope. If you don't want to give your gift to the pope, then the
Italian personas will beat you up and take your gifts. They will then keep
half of the gift and give the other half to the pope.

Scottish - All of the gifts are attached to a sheep everyone spends the rest
of the evening trying to romance one of the sheep into giving the gift to
... never mind, only the Scottish personas would enjoy this, and their
mating ritual involves hideous noise emanating from a set of bagpipes.

Irish - Everyone gets together and eats bland crappy food and writes laments
and poetry about how there are no gifts.

French - Everyone pretends they are French. No gifts are needed since you
already have it all. You will spend the whole evening feeling slighted by
the Italians, emulated by the English and Russians, paternal to the Spanish
and Portuguese, and vastly superior to the Germans.

If you think of any others that I missed, post them. If you can think of
ones that are better than mine (shouldn't be hard to do that) , post them
also.

Athaulf Sweinbrothar
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried
before.