[Ravensfort] Things and Happenings....

Paul Gilbert niklas at pbgilbert.net
Thu Aug 8 15:14:35 PDT 2002

Greetings from Their Excellences of Raven's Fort, Niklas and Kezia

Lots of events and activities have been going on for the past few weeks and
more are soon to come.

Preparations for Defender of the Fort XX is well underway with the
Stewardship of Sir Kief and the Feast Stewardship of Lady Isabeau de Mericouer.

Please, step up and volunteer for helping with the activities and duties of
the event. Defender is the premier event for Raven's Fort and here is where
we get the chance to shine and show.

I urge all to attend the upcoming Baronial Business meeting to be held Aug
22nd, the 3rd Thursday of the month at Citizens Bank in New Waverly at 7pm.
Defender, I am sure will be the top topic of the meeting.

One means for getting the word out concerning Defender will be the new web
page devoted to Raven's Fort Events.

The URL is www.ravensforevents.com . This is where future events of Raven's
Fort will have a web page devoted to it for the dissemination of
information about events. Also remember the Official Raven's Fort web page
at www.ravensfort.org for information on the Barony, Officers, and such,
for the Barony of Raven's Fort.

The web page is designed and managed  by Melina and any suggestions,
additions or changes need to be directed to at her email address as listed
on the web page. It lists work days, the ad and soon other informational
items about the event.

Currently, We are still seeking someone to steward a Noble Luncheon for the
Landed Baron and Baroness's. This would be small noon time luncheon with
about 20 or so persons attending. The theme or menu is open and does not
have to follow the event theme. This is a great place for those that want
to get into doing feasts or cooking for a group to get started. Anyone
interested, please contact Kezia or I.

Lord Balda, the Knights Marshal is seeking Water Bearers, Heralds and maybe
a List Mistress or two to handle the fighting events at Defender. If anyone
is interested in any of these duties, please see Lord Balda or contact him
at isobail at ev1.net.

Currently, there are about 6 weeks till the event. The Crown requires at
least 2 weeks notice for the handling and preparation of award
recommendations. If anyone desires to recommended anyone for a Kingdom
level award (AoA, Thistle, Crane...etc), please submit your recommendation
ASAP. We ask that you copy us or send the recommendation to us and we will
submit it in a package to the Crown. Anyone needing help or having
questions about the award recommendation process, please ask.

For award recommendation submissions concerning local awards, please
contact Us direct.

With the summer months comes the heat. Please everyone be careful, watch
your liquid intake and don't get overheated.

We will traveling some in September, but none in August except for Kezia to
attend Steppes Artisan in the Barony of Steppes on Aug 24.

Please see out baronial Progress as listed below.

Aug 16,17,18            Work days at the RF site

Aug 24          Steppes Artisan (Kezia attending)

Aug 25          Work day at the RF site

Sept 8                  Work day at the RF site

Sept 14         Stargate Baronial 30th Year

Sept 15         Work day at the RF site

Sept 20-22              Defender of the Fort

Sept 27-29              Elfsea Defender

Oct 4-6         Crown Tourney

Oct 11-13               Bryn Gwlad Fall Event

Oct 18-20               Bjornsborg Baronial

The above schedule is subject to change and your mileage WILL vary.
Batteries not included.

One of the activities We desire to see increasing, is the caravaning of
those that travel to events and the sitting together at the event as a
Barony. We have the Baronial pavilion and Kezia's pavilion for use cover
and a place to base from at the event. In events that We camp, everyone is
invited to camp with us and enjoy the fellowship of the Barony.

If someone is short on transportation, We can possibly help out with that.
Please contact Us direct concerning transportation to an event.

The last item I wish to address, is the issue of membership in the SCA.
Recently SCA, Inc. adopted a $3 surcharge for non-members that attend
events that will be added to the normal site fee's. The SCA, Inc will get
the entire $3. The kingdom and local groups will receive none of the $3.

The reasons for the new surcharge is the falling membership counts and
increasing cost of operations.

I would encourage everyone to obtain a membership in the SCA. Please, get
the Sustaining membership as it is the one that counts for the population
counts. Cost of the membership is $35 until Jan 1, 2003 when it becomes $40
(this will include TI) For more information about the new surcharge and
membership fees, please see an officer or Us.

The cost of membership is nominal when you look at it long term and what it
helps maintain. I have copied at the end of this article, an article I sent
to the Ansteorra EMail List concerning this subject. Read it over and think
it over.

As always, if there is any questions, needs, concerns or whatever....please
get with Us so we may help solve and educate in the ways of SCA and the
Barony of Raven's Fort.

In Service......

Baron Niklas Vasilevich.....Baroness Kezia Kibarta

Below is the Article I sent to the Ansteorra Email List.........it is kinda
long......

To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
Subject: SCA Membership dues and Such things as that

Greetings.......

I have read thru the BoD minutes and the various postings that have come
across the list concerning the proposed(?)/done deal of the $3 surcharge
from the BoD for non-members.

Some of the posts are logical and well thought out and some
are...urrrr....interesting ;0)

It is unfortunate that such an action as the surcharge is having to be
implemented or even considered. I state "considered" as the date of
implementation is Jan 1, 2003. This gives folks that had/have an opinion,
that did not express it, time to write the BoD and tell them their feelings
on the matter.

I HIGHLY suggest, if one is "for" OR "against" the idea, to sit down and
send the BoD their opinion ASAP!

This may look like a done deal, but it is not. We have time to possibly
influence a change. I believe that is one reason that the BoD chose to wait
till Jan 1, 2003 to begin its enforcement.

There have been some suggestions as to what to do about costs and money,
that would be from a logistics standpoint, a nightmare to implement, track
or administrate. Thus, the method that the BoD has chosen seems to be the
path of least resistance and the easiest to administrate. I do not blame
them for that. To track cards, to keep up with pro-rated or whatever
payments of newbies, etc would be near impossible.

As whether to charge the fee???? I have mixed feelings on that. I agree
that we need some kind of incentive to get non-members to become members.
The surcharge is a way to prod them to do that. If they attend very many
events, 11.66 to be exact, they would have purchased a membership. However,
I take the BoD to task as to why $3 and why send it ALL to corporate.

The line of thought about sueing a non-member to recover costs....that
would be hard, costly and a really chicken... to do. I always was under the
belief that one of the reasons that we have the insurance is to cover
"everyone" that attends the event. Thus, the reason for the case of the
ones that pay, covering for the ones that do not pay, not being fair to the
ones that pay. The BoD will have to explain that line of reasoning alot
better for me to accept that one.

As to the cost of the membership at $35 dollars and someone not having the
funds.

That is absolute hogwash!!!!!

I can assure you that most folks that expound that belief, have and
consistently do spend much more that the $35 at least once per year on
things that are optional expenses and that funding could be re-tasked to
support the hobby and fun that the SCA umbrella provides.

I can put this even simpler.........Let me put the cost of membership into
a financial perspective......

The current cost of a membership is $35......that breaks down to.....

.09589041 cents per day.

.6730 cents per week.

$ 2.9166 per month.

Now everyone reach into your pocket and pull out your current pocket
change.....most of you have some change in your pocket or purse and if you
do not, I bet you have some running around in the floor of your car or
underneath your favorite chair/couch/futon at home.

Count the change, most likely it exceeds the amount of membership for one
week. I am pretty sure it does for a day or a few days. There will be
exceptions to this. But not many and I feel that there are folks that are
better off (financially) that would be happy to help those that can not
honestly afford a membership.

.09589041 cents per day to cover your butt at an SCA event in case you or
someone does something stupid. Pretty cheap insurance. I wish I could cover
my car that cheap.

Granted, I have to have a membership due to my Landed Baronial status. But
I would have one anyway because it is a way to support the organization
that makes this all possible in a united and consistent (or at least
reasonable consistent) front for all that wish to participate in the hobby
we all love....The SCA.

I have seen this same issue raise it's head in another hobby I have. All
the same arguments and all the same reasons for and against. But that hobby
does not have the exposure of the liability that the SCA does with the
fighting and scope of the activities. It is even more important here to
have a membership IMHO.

Now.....with all that above said. I am mixed in my feelings on the
surcharge. I think $3 is too high and some of it should be shared on at
least a Kingdom level.

The board did what they did because not enough folks spoke up.

We, you still have a chance. Get them cards, letters and emails going.
There is at least one more board meeting before it takes effect and who
knows, they might be convinced to change their mind.

I sent in my opinion before. I will do it again.

Stay tuned.....film at 11.......

In Service......

H.E. Niklas Vasilevich
Baron of the Barony of Raven's Fort

                 Data Marketing Associates, Inc.  |  Houston, Texas
                         pgilbert at datamktg.com  |  281-579-2995
                                        www.datamktg.com
Paul Gilbert,   KE5ZW                   H.E. Niklas Vasilevich,
Huntsville, Texas                       Baron of The Barony Raven's Fort
niklas at pbgilbert.net                    CSM, Crane, ORH, KGA , AoA
936-291-9532 home                               Kingdom of Ansteorra
936-581-5632 cellular                           Society for Creative
Anachronism
                               AIM Name: KE5ZW