[Ravensfort] Re: Non-members

Doug Bell debell at txcyber.com
Thu Jul 25 11:48:25 PDT 2002

Lorraine is to be thanked for making this address
available to folks.  If you aren't an SCA member and
work at events you should read this part of the
minutes.  I hold some type of herald office all
the time so I have to be a member and this doesn't
affect me but it may concern some folks.

Magnus

[Discussion sidetracked briefly on a question of waiver coverage
for nonmembers serving at events.  Andrew as Ex.Asst. answered
that if a non-member did something in the course of assisting
at an event that caused damages such that they and the Society
were sued then the SCA would not defend and the SCA, Inc.'s
insurance was under no obligation to defend.  He took it
further than that, stating that if the Society were held
liable for some damage not covered by insurance, the
Society would sue to recover the funds. (The example
given was a sign that was hung, then later fell and
damaged a car.  If the sign were hung by a nonmember,
the Society would sue to have them pay for the coverage
of the car owners deductible so that the Society would
not have to do so.  It could just as easily be accidental
damage to a window or equipment in a kitchen.  If you
aren't a member, perhaps you should reconsider donating
your time and effort at events, as the SCA, Inc., unlike
the local group, doesn't value your assistance as much as
it does someone who has paid dues.]