[Ravensfort] Badon update...

RJ Allen chrystalamacruari at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 21:47:41 PDT 2002

I apologize for the tardiness of this update, I haven't heard anything since, keep your fingers crossed... Berta

AS OF 6/3/02:  This is a quick update on what is going on with us.  The Supreme Court has declared the law with which Badon was convicted to be unconstitutional.  They have sent it back to the Appeals Court which has decided (on Friday, May 31st) that there are no grounds on which to hold him.  His case has now been sent back to the Beaumont (district court) for processing for his release.  That said, our lawyer has told us that the prosecuting attorney will probably try to reindight him under the law that was in effect prior to the 1996 law that was thrown out.  We may have to go through a whole new trial.  They may try to indight him before he is even released from prison and may have to be bonded out.  We should know more by Friday.  Our lawyer has also told us that the prosecuting attorney has spoken to him in vague terms about "coping a plea" for time served so that we would not have to go through another trial.  I am very against this as it would still have a federal crime on his record.  However I am not sitting in prison.  I will send further missives on our progress.

Love, Leah.