[Ravensfort] Brians Letter to the Raven's Fort list.

Brian du Val cobalt60 at lcc.net
Sun May 12 20:19:05 PDT 2002

  I have taken the opportunity to read the last few weeks of postings from this list and have reflected on the events of the last few years at some of our tournaments and meetings.
      I can tell you of good deeds and of honor but that would only jade the whole truth about what is felt and heard.
 Some members of this barony feel that they are wronged at times and use the public list to post their opinions. Others have been ridiculed and criticized on this list and in private. Some have supported the act of threats, sarcasm and defamation of character by reading silently and not posting, possibly in fear of what others may think and say on
 the list and privately. Some just ignore it and hope that it will go away. When asked to not post inflammatory statements to the list and are warned not to encourage such acts, some lash out and complain that they are being bullied. As if this was not enough, the postings continue, and finally, some one gets banned from the list, and again the supporters and the gossipers all talk privately and publicly as to who did what and who was wrong.

     At events members of our barony work hard at supporting the tournament by working together and being civil to one  another. We work together raising the Big Green Tents, White pavilions, running activities and even heralding the days
 activities so that our guests may be well informed. Some cut grass, paint buildings, clean the kitchen and even pull cow patty and potty patrol. Not once have I seen some one get upset and leave or have to be pulled off of each other. But just as some view quietly on the Raven's Fort List, so do others with their own reasons choose not to lift a finger to assist the Autocrat or Feastocrat with their responsibilities. I see members of the visiting Nobility assisting,  New comers to our group, and the few usual folk who always are working at our events sweating and giving all they can muster to insure that the event will run smooth and without difficulty. There are some who work hard and feel hurt when questioned about their actions. I, myself, have felt the sting of my error as I was given the perspective of another's position on issues of great importance to the barony and my friends. I have learned to be open minded, patient, forgiving, helpful, and most of all willing to listen to even those who I felt were working against the best interest of the group, for whatever reason.

     When I swore fealty to my Barony by recognizing the Baron and Baroness as the voice of my King, I did so without care to my personal needs. I do give my word that I will work toward the betterment of my Barony through hard work and loyalty without conditions. This loyalty is not blind by any means, but it's a bond of trust that I offer all who call  themselves members of Raven's Fort. The Baron and Baroness stand as our voice to the King and Queen.The King trusts them and so must I or the very fiber of what we call chivalry and honor is weakened. My love for my Barony is without condition. To sit and read the posts on this list without concern is the same as not lifting a finger to help.

     Some of you will read these words and call me a mindless twit who will do as he is told and be obedient to who ever sits up top. I wish you to know that it is not I who will feel this pain, but all the other members who work hard to support this Barony. If you feel offended by my words then I ask that you weigh yourself carefully and reflect upon why the officers perform their duties. The only answer to this question is that they do it for you, and it is called sacrifice. Each officer holds their office with out payment for services and is obligated by acceptance of their position to serve the Barony by performing their duty as best as they can.  The one officer that answers for the condition of the Barony is the Seneschal. The Seneschal receives reports from all the officers and must assist the Reeve with the financial activities. The Seneschal gives reports to the Kingdom Seneschal at the end of each reign so that the Kingdom will be aware of our status and strength. The Seneschal is there to serve you, the members of the Barony, as an organizer and administrator. Did I mention sacrifice? I can without question say that the current Seneschal has put up with a lot more problems than I ever did when I was in her shoes. When members of the Barony can't abide by simple rules that once were common courtesies, she has to take charge. In some cases she to exert her authority and resort to the last possible measure by asking some members to not post to our public forum. At times the seneschal has to collect documents from local mundane authorities to process banishments as I have done.

     As for the recent progress of posts to this list I wish to point this out; If Lady Clarissima has given you a warning for what you have posted then she was letting you know that some thing about your post was not fair to some one. The fact of which she will point out.  It is not a bad thing but an attention getter to help keep the list friendly. The new policy of warnings and being band from the list is around eight months old and a lot of us are still getting used to being told they can not say certain things on the list. Try to remember; if you act like children, expect to be put in time out if you can not play by the rules and be courteous to one another.

     There is more that can be said but its late.

                        In service......

                H.E. Brian du Val