[Ravensfort] Raven's Fort Happenings!

Paul Gilbert niklas at pbgilbert.net
Sun May 5 08:03:03 PDT 2002

Greetings......

Sorry for being slow, late or whatever. Since the event, Day at the Court
of the Great Kahn finished, We have been sidetracked in getting some
personal and Baronial business handled, thus, preventing Us from getting to
the keyboard for the time needed to produce this article.

So, this installment will cover what has and what will happen in Raven's Fort.

Let me first cover a bit of un-pleasant news. One of our members of the
Barony, was involved in a fatal traffic accident and was killed in it.
Genaric Nordman, mka Nathan Bohls, the husband of Lady Isabeau de
Mericouer, mka Rachel Luce died in the accident Wednesday early morning
last week in Montgomery county.

We send our condolences and wishes of well and remembrance to Isabeau and
her family in this time of grief. The Barony is here to help.

At the Day at the court of the Great Kahns event, a good time was had by
all. We had 264 people in attendance with 27 !!! gentles that this was
their first SCA event. We wish them well and hope they will return.

As we thanked many people in court, we missed a couple. We wish to beg  the
forgiveness and indulgence of all as we publicly thank a few that helped
greatly in the event, but the flurry blurred our vision.

Brian and Becca, who donated the hog for which the fine pork was cooked for
the feast by HL Dolfin. Thank you very much for donating the animal and we
appreciate the gift and service very much.

Lady Julianna, who did her research and was prepared to hold the Mongolian
Wrestling. But the activity did not come off due to many factors combined.
Thank you, Julianna for the work and willingness to help. Please hang onto
the info as we hope to try again at Defender.

And We again wish to thank all of the event staff and those that
volunteered in a pinch to help make the Kahns Court a wonderful place to
visit. VIVAT to all of you.

It is with the pulling together of this kind that we can hold events of
such that leave the attendees with stars in their eyes and memories all can
be proud of.

As promised, here is a complete list of who won...what and who was awarded
what...

Awards:

         H.L. Dolfin of Cork, of Raven's Fort was awarded the Order of the
Star of Merit of Ansteorra
         Lady Simon Piroska, of Raven's Fort was awarded her Award of Arms
of Ansteorra (AoA)
         Lady Ayla von der Wiese was awarded the Raven's Fort Voronii
Remeslennik, the new Raven's Fort Baronial A&S award. More on it in a bit.

Winners of Championships:

         Bardic:
         "PuBear" Bersi Ormstrogen, of Bjornsborg

         Brewing/Venting:
         "Shula", Lady Saa-rah al-Shabbirah, of Bryn Gwlad

         Archery:
         Lord Playchoa Sobaka,   of Raven's Fort

         Equestrian:
         Nathan of Gatesedge, of Gatesedge

         Halfemaster (Knife,Axe and Spear):
         Conel Christinson, of Loch Sollier

         Chivalric Fighting:
         Baron Sir Ulstead the Unsteady, of Loch Sollier

         Rapier Fighting:
         H.L. Isabell Grace Hadleigh, of Bjornsborg

All of these Champions competed hard and honorably for the titles of which
they won. We thank them all and will see them soon.

The last item that We have from the event is to again overall thank
everyone that worked, donated, participated or whatever at the event. A
great BIG general

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the hard work and great Day at the Court of the
Great Kahn in Raven's Fort.

In other happenings........

Due to mundane activities, We were not able to attend Stargates Squires and
Cadets event on Saturday. We know that a few folks had planned to attend.
We hope they will bring back words of the event and share them with us.

Plans are to travel to the Barony of Loch Sollier and their Loch Baronial
May 19th. Please see the Blackstar or their web page for further
information. We plan to have a pavilion there and all are welcome to come
sit, watch and enjoy the event. We will not be camping and may have room
for one or two that might need a ride.

At the end of the month of May is Steppes Warlord in the Barony of the
Steppes. A big encampment and a Saturday evening feast is planned. HE Brian
and HE Niklas will be preparing Stir Fry for those in camp. More details to
come on that. Sir Keif will be going up Friday AM to claim lands for us to
camp on. If anyone would like a spot for their tent or pavilion, contact
him with information.

In the month of June, We plan no travels at this time except, perhaps a
shopping trip to Houston to wonderful places such as Central Market, Whole
Foods, and others. More details on that as they are developed.

You will notice that at the Kahns event, a new Baronial award was announced
and given out. It is the Raven's Fort Voronii Remeslennik or Raven's
Craftsman. This is a non-armigeous baronial level, A&S award given by the
Baron and Baroness for progress, work or outstanding examples of work in
the field of Arts & Sciences. Lady Ayla von der Wiese has the honor of
being the first recipient of the Voronii Remeslinnk and she will help us
design the insignia and badge of the award. It is to be given at the
pleasure of the B&B with no set time frames. There will be separate
information issued concerning the award shortly.

The Dance Guild is going well! It is held each Tuesday at 7pm at the home
of Svana Skoterska and Tyrfingr "Tyr" Tjuguskegg in the Woodlands.
Directions to the guild meeting are... coming south on I-45 exit the
Needham rd/242. The exit is under construction so it is actually the F.M.
1488 exit, it does have the exit marked for Needham rd, but you have to
stay on the access road for a ways to get to 242, then just go to Alden
Woods Dr, and cont with the posted directions. So far the group has learned
8 dances and it is really a lot of fun. Even this ole, fat boy with bad
knees can do it!

Things are happening and changing in Raven's Fort. At the Populace meeting
Thursday night, Lady Clarissima di Niccolucci and Lord Lochlann McGruer,
gave a wonderful class on making cheese. They made from raw materials, 3
types of cheese of which we enjoyed with bread and soup for the meal.

At the meeting We presented Lady Piroska her AoA, as she had left the Kahns
event early. She was speechless. Gotcha!!!!

Attendance and activity for the Populace meeting was great with 46 people
and a full evening of activity. June will be coming and if anyone has a
program or class to present, please get in touch with us. We are also
looking for a July program.

Defender of the Fort and September is not far away. An Event Steward and
Feast Steward are being looked for. If anyone has a desire to do one of
these jobs, please get with Us or Lady Clarissima, Seneschal of the Barony.

Other activities in the Barony include.....

Scribes at HE Crystals on May 9thth at her residence. Contact HE Crystal
for further information.

Raven's Fort Business meeting on May 16thth at Citizens Bank of Texas in
New Waverly at 7pm.

Fighter Practice each Sunday,at 3pm at the Gazebo located at Ave O and 19th
Street in Huntsville.

Persons have asked Us as to what events we will be trying to attend. Below
is a tentative Baronial Progress. It is subject to change and the usual
disclaimers....your mileage may vary, batteries not included, some assembly
required....yadda,yadda,yadda.....

date:                   event:                                  accommodations:

May 10-12       pass out @ home :)
May 17-19       Loch Sollier Baronial                   Daytrip
May 24-27       Steppes Warlord                 Camping @ event
June 28-30      Midsummers Faire                        Daytrip
July 12-14       Coronation                              Overnight
                       (depends on location)
July 19-21       Kings Round Table                       Overnight
                      (depends on location)
August  TBA......
September       Defender, Sept 20-22

We would love to see as many as can, attend the events we plan to visit. If
anyone has any questions about the events or travel plans, please let Us know.

In closing, the activities occurring in the Barony are wonderful !!!!! But
they do not come without a price. Please support them and thank the people
that plan, produce and provide the activities and support actions of them.

If anyone has an activity or event that they wish to do, let Us or Lady
Clarissima, the Seneschal, know so may help you.

As usual, any questions, complaints, ideas or the such, please contact us.

In Service,

H.E. Niklas Vasilevich          H.E. Kezia Kiabarta
Baron                                  Baroness

Barony of Raven's Fort
Kingdom or Ansteorra
Society for Creative Anachronism

                 Data Marketing Associates, Inc.  |  Houston, Texas
                         pgilbert at datamktg.com  |  281-579-2995
                                        www.datamktg.com
Paul Gilbert,   KE5ZW                   H.E. Niklas Vasilevich,
Huntsville, Texas                       Baron of The Barony Raven's Fort
niklas at pbgilbert.net                    CSM, Crane, ORH, KGA , AoA
936-291-9532 home                               Kingdom of Ansteorra
936-581-5632 cellular                           Society for Creative
Anachronism
                               AIM Name: KE5ZW