[Ravensfort] Trigger vs Linen

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Wed May 29 09:59:00 PDT 2002

--- Ramsay <ramsay at somethoughts.org> wrote:
> We are thinking about making some new garb and would like your perspectives
> on fabric.

The look is more important than the content. Linen and wool and silk and
raimie and hemp and some cotton were used in period (dependant upon time
and place) but some of these are more labor intensive in upkeep and more
expensive than most people like for their SCA clothes...fabric right off
the dollar table at Walmart is just as acceptable...and may be easier
to take care of.

> For surcoats and such, which would be better and why?

Depends upon what you want...are you looking for durable and colourfast
then go with duck/canvas/trigger...if you are looking for more period
style and comfort go with linen...and again it depends upon what your
target time an place are...

> Also,
> where are the best places to buy fabric: online, Wal-Mart, Hancocks,
> Hi-Fashion Fabrics in Houston, etc.?

I like to touch the fabric before I see it...so I don't really buy online
much...sometimes I buy from Timeless Textiles (awesome brocades) or
Spyder, Rupert and Gibbons (for silk), many people have had luck with
the online place that was recently posted...

trim at pillaged village, cheaptrim.com, calontirtrim.com and eureka trim
have all had good results for people I know...

I get most of my fabric at Wal-Mart, Hancocks, and Joanns...Ususally I only
go to High Fashion to dream...the fabric I want there is almost always
$50 or more a yard...I also go to specialty decorator stores...where
sometimes you can get remnants (enough for trim) for cheap....

My advice is to start with solid colours and basic trims...until you
figure out what you want...

and if you run across any twill weave wool, silk or linen...give me
a hollar..

Lorraine