[Ravensfort] SCA Forms of Address

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 12:15:18 PDT 2002

I don't know if this is what Gorm wanted (off the Ansteorran list)

but this is where my mind took what he asked...

Standard Forms of Address in the SCA

These are the most basic, there are other ways…but others can elaborate on that …the "XXX" stands
for "insert personal name"

You usually address a person according to the highest rank they have attained, though you can
address someone according to any of their earned titles. Some people prefer one title over another
or one alternate over another. (See link for Alternate Title List at bottom of this e-mail if
you're curious)

The Crown - Their Royal Majesties (TRM), Her/His Royal Majesty (HRM), His/Her Majesty, Your
Majesty, King  XXX, Queen  XXX

01. Visiting Crowns - Their Royal Majesties (Kingdom Name), Your Majesty XXX,
King  XXX, Queen  XXX

02. Crown Prince & Princess of Ansteorra - Their Royal Highnesses (TRH), His/Her Royal Highness
(HRH), Prince XXX, Princess XXX.  The alternate titles we use most are Prince and Principessa

03. Visiting Crown Prince & Princes - Their Royal Highnesses (Kingdom Name), Your Royal Highness
XXX, Crown Prince XXX, Crown Princess  XXX

04. Territorial Princes & Princess - Their  Highnesses (Principality Name) , Your Highness XXX,
Prince XXX, Princess  XXX

05. Dukes & Duchesses - Your Grace XXX, Duke XXX, Duchess  XXX

06. Counts & Countesses - Your Excellency, Count  XXX, Countess  XXX

07. Viscounts & Viscountesses - Your Excellency, Viscount XXX,  Vicountess  XXX

08. Barons & Baronesses in Fief - Baron/ess (Group Name), Your Excellency, Your Excellency (Group
name or personal name)

09. Visiting Barons & Baronesses in Fief - Baron/ess (Group Name), Your Excellency, Your
Excellency (Group name or personal name)

10. Peers:
Knights of the Society (KSCA) - Sir or Dame
Mastery of Arms (MSCA) - Master
Master/Mistress of the Laurel (ML) - Master or Mistress
Master/Mistress of the Pelican (MP) - Master or Mistress

11. Court Barons & Baronesses - Your Excellency, Baron/ess

12. Ansteorran Grant Orders:
Order of the Iris of Merit (CIM) - Honourable Lord/Lady
Order of the Star of Merit (CSM) - Honourable Lord/Lady
Order of the White Scarf of Ansteorra (WSA) - Don/Dona
Order of the Centurians of the Sable Star - Centurian
Order of the Archer Majorius - (I don't know this one, can someone enlighten me?)

13. All other Grants of Rank - Lord/Lady

All the Following are AoA level Awards and the person may be referred to as Lord or Lady

14. Ansteorran Grace Awards:
King's Gauntlet of Ansteorra (KGA)
Queens Glove of Ansteorra (QGA)

15. Ansteorran Arts & Kingdom Service Awards:
Award of the Sable Thistle of Ansteorra (THISTLE)
Award of the Sable Crane of Ansteorra (CRANE)

16. Ansteorran Principality Orders & Awards:
Circle of the Ascending Star (CAS)*
Gilded Thorn of Ansteorra (GTA)*
Order of the Aristotelis Descipuli (OAD)*

17. Ansteorran Baronial Service Orders (list deleted for brevity sake)

18. Ansteorran Awards for Service to Shires and to Children:
Award of the Sable Comet (COMET)
Award of the Compass Rose (CRA)

19. All Other Awards of Arms

For non-armigeous awards or for persons without awards "milord " or "milady" is the standard form
of address (or anyone you cannot discern the rank of)…

Resources you may wish to peruse…

The Guiding Hand (Ansteorran Specific) good but needs updating
http://www.ansteorra.org/regnum/hospitaler/GuidingHand/guidhan1.htm

Forward into the Past (Society Wide)
http://www.ansteorra.org/regnum/hospitaler/articles/fip.htm

The SCA Newcomers page has the above and more
http://www.sca.org/newcomers.html

SCA list of Alternate Titles
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html