[Ravensfort] cool tapestries to examine online

Marivs byzy at charter.net
Thu Apr 17 10:31:15 PDT 2003

I got to see these up close and personal on one of my trips to NYC.  Very
cool.  They were used to wrap potatoes on a farm for centuries and suffered
amazingly enough only minor damage.  The bottom corner was lost on one, but
was restored before it was put on display.  Over the years the restored
corner faded and turned from blue to brown while the original dyes still
hold their true colors.  Let's hear it for Medieval technology !!

The Cloisters itself is an incredible place for any SCAer.  It is built from
ruined Medieval monasteries and castles that were bought, disassembled and
shipped from Europe.  The sarcophagus and doorways alone are worth a trip to
the Big Apple.  Not to mention the art work.  Unfortunately the Chalice of
Antioch was taken off display because of the religious fanatics, but the
rest of the museum will more than make up for that disappointment.  Plan on
spending the whole day.

Pax,
Marivs