[Ravensfort] Why I joined the SCA

Brian du Val cobalt60 at lcc.net
Sun Feb 2 20:12:50 PST 2003

I have had some time to reflect this afternoon and came to realize a few things.

    I joined the SCA to do some things I had only read about and to experience things like Tournament Fighting, Archery, Armor building and most of all being accepted as an equal. My Lady feels very much the same way. When I became a member of Raven's Fort I discovered a whole new world. A society that Honor and Chivalry were commonplace and where people shared their ideals.
    It disgusts me to no end to witness people speaking poorly of others.To bare malice and ill manner to the point of causing anguish and pain in their dire pursuit of vengeance and selfish wishes.
    To continue the perpetuation of anger, hate and animosity is childish and with out reason. It is creating a fracture in the populace that will not easily heal or encourage growth in the local area. People outside our group see and hear the doom saying, infighting and general lack of respect that some hold for others and they try to separate them selves from it. Even in closed circles, word leaks out that some one does not like or care for another. People talk. Some people just enjoy talking bad about others and are not content unless they do so.  It is human nature to trust others and to strive for acceptance. When people talk down to each other the trust is lost and acceptance as equals no longer exists.
       If this is the goal then the evil person who has nurtured and fed this ugly beast has truly done a good job.
    I on the other hand will not let this go unanswered. I feel that if we as a Barony want to start sharing and enjoying each others company regardless of who does not like who we need to start now. I will be at populace to plane for the upcoming event. Allot needs to be done and I can not do it by my self. I need the whole support of the populace. We need the Barony to be a Barony. After all the Barony is what We make of it not what it makes of us.

                                                           Brian

BTW the reason why I have stayed in the SCA; Its hard to leave a family who eccepts you as an equal no matter how bad you fight or how stupid your jokes are. Besides the food aint half bad.