[Ravensfort] Autocrats Rant >:o(

Piroska Simon simon_piroska at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 3 11:49:54 PST 2003

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

I applaud both your missives!  You have hit the proverbial  "nail on the head"
– both times!  I joined the SCA because they believed in the same things I did
-- honor, truth, courtesy, and those courtly ideals that represented the best
of those times.

I joined a family... Raven's Fort, after Simon Orom (Joy) "dragged" me to an
event, and the rest is "history".  I found people who accepted me for myself
and, after 5 years of being on the "fringes" I am finally coming out of my
shell.  No one minded that I was scared of people; they included me anyway.
Nearly everyone was kind, gracious and helpful.  I was allowed to learn about
"weaving", baking in an outdoor oven, and all those things that interested me.
No one said, "You can't do that".  I enjoyed working at events, hearing the
"clanking" on the list field, watching the competition, listening to bardic
competition, etc.  Not having the courage to go to any gatherings except
court, I always had a great time, and that it what it is about.

Now the family is hosting another event.  People from the outside will be in
attendance and will see if we are a family that pulls together or a family
that pulls apart, causing constant turmoil.  I know that everyone has
"something else" going on in their lives, I do too, but that does not take
away from the fact that the Barony needs everyone to help put this event on,
not hinder.  You may not be able to do more than sit a shift at gate, wash
dishes after court, or help clean up after the event, but do something!  If
you are not able to attend the event, help in the preparations.  Causing
confusion, adding to the stress of those trying to get everything ready --
these are signs of one who does not put the good of the Barony uppermost.

I have committed myself to a shift at gate, among other jobs at this event.
The people in charge of those jobs know I will be there.  Make your commitment
if you have not already done so.  Brian has a list of things that need to be
done.  If you are going up to the site on Friday, commit to take something.
Show your Barony that you are still a member, who cares about our family, who
is willing to work for the family -- not just one who enjoys the fruit of
others' labors.  It is time to reach out and clasp the hand of another in the
family whose needs help -- and help them!  After all, that is what a family
does!

The next two WEEKENDS will be work weekends… come out and help the family
finish get ready.  If you can stamp or paint, you are needed!  Was not part of
the reason you joined this family a wish to belong to the family, to interact
with them, to work and play with them???  If not, what was your reason?

Simon Piroska

STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8[1] and get 2 months FREE*