[Ravensfort] Autocrats Rant >:o(

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 21:11:18 PST 2003

Excellent rant!
Though we have not been able to attend workdays...Kief and I are promoting the Barony's event at the events we travel to...I'm also working on banners...and will be sitting at least one gate shift...Kief has already said that he will be helping transport equipment and I believe that you have a part for him to play in the event...
If anyone needs help with clothing or Banner design to enhance the event... just write, or call, or stop me at the meeting...and I'll help you as much as I am able...
We need to show ourselves and everyone else that Raven's Fort is more than just  "the site."
Lorraine DeerSlayer
 Brian du Val <cobalt60 at lcc.net> wrote:This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
This is a complaint. this is a letter that needs to be written and I know that I will offend some, upset others and get my butt chewed.
The basic idea of a hobby is to have fun. To attend events and compete in activities is how we have fun. If no one hosts an event and GIVES some of their time when THEIR GROUP hosts an event for others to have fun then NO ONE HAS FUN.

Master Robert sent a letter to the Raven's Fort list. It was to the point and right on the mark about working together and being a group. I only wish that OUR BARONY would be more friendly with each other, learn to some times put aside differences and move on.
It is not that easy. Some member of OUR BARONY can not leave well enough alone and have tried to take things to far. Some people ( active and inactive SCA members) have tried to misrepresent OUR BARONY to others in our local community. Others have done nothing but complain to every one about the fact that OUR BARONY is not using the Stones Site for the event and have even considered not attending the event due to that fact.
Some think by not using the site I am avoiding some type of political issue. Some are mad because they can't camp in their camp at a Raven's Fort event. Others in OUR BARONY offer assistance and become non committing and evasive when work needs to be done.
I hear the words " WHO IS BRIAN?, WE WANT TO KNOW.", "WHO DID YOU ASK?"
" WHO'S NOT WANTING TO HELP?"

Well hear ya go!:

Chrystal made and sent the event invites . Very few have came to the scribes meeting to help her with this important task. My self included. I was a work some of those night but could have at least stopped by to see how things were going.

Malcolm is the Gate Keeper. He has worked hard to set up the Gate Roster and will more than likely not be able to stay for the event due to his work schedule. He helped build the Viewing stand for the event.

Isobail has been sewing the Gallery covers and doing what she can to help with the gate forms and teaching people how to use the updated forms.

Artorious is my CoAutocrat with Malcolm. He has been helping all around.

Ayla Putting up with me and my lack of attention to her and our unborn child is helping with site tokens and hair braiding for the Knife Axe and Spear Comp.

Clarissima... Secured the Livingston Trade Days site, Contacted the Regional K,A,&S Marshal to help authorize new KN&S marshals at the event so we can hold the Competition. Doing the Hat Lunch and has had no real offers to help her.

Jacinth.... Our Feastocrat. Who even hesitated to commit because the job is a lot of work and after doing some research to plane a period feast is trying to complete it before it gets to the site. Not one person is helping her that I know of.

Elaine is running the Bardic Comp. with Pu Bear if he is able to make the event.

Isabeau is running the A&S comp.

Plachoya, Running the Archery event Has not asked for help but well more than likely need it before the event is over.

Sir Alexis Running the Equestrian Comp. He is running an EMPRISE which is like the Pas d' Armes but with Horses! I know he will need help!

Once again we have 10% working 90% and 90% complaining they don't get Recognition for showing up to events and doing 10% of the work. For those who want to help and not be a part of the 90% category we have lots of things that need to be done. See the list below.

We will need Heralds for announcements

We will need Servers for the FEAST.

We will need a Water Barer Coordinator and Water Barers.

We will need tables loaded and taken to the site.

We will need a lot of other equipment taken to the site.

We will need kitchen equipment taken to the site.

We will need to load the Gallery and assemble it on site.

We will need to decorate the site.

If I forgot some one I apologize.

HERE IS MY BIG RANT

1. Very few came to the first work day at my house. It was posted on the RAVEN'S FORT LIST but no reply. It did not happen. Maybe I should have called some folks but would that not be considered intrusive and violating some ones idea of privacy and personal time.
2. Artorious and David St. David came to the second one and a few others who were wrangled to help who did not know it was a work WEEKEND. BTW it was posted too.
3. Sunday several people said that they would return to help finish the Gallery........NO ONE CAME OUT! I wanted call them but they knew we had work to do.
I have had to beg, plead, persuade and even bribe some people to help with this event.
I DON'T THINK OUR BARONY WANTS TO HOST AN EVENT.
I have been getting the clues and hints to that fact but have refused admit it,.....until now.
As for the use of the Livingston trade day site. I thought it would be great to hold an event at a different site for just once that was in our own lands. The added bonus of not having to PUT UP THE BIG GREEN TENTS AT NIGHT, CUT THE GRASS FOR A WEEK, SPRAY FOR ANTS and RENT 10 PORT O' PRIVIES was just the fringe on the pillow. The site comes with running water. Having lights in the two big covered halls would actually be nice for once. Did I say flush toilets with hot water in the sink for washing hands, " GIMMY AN AMEN!". The Fact its a DRY SITE was not an issue until the Brewing and Vintner Comp. was brought up. It was moved to DEFENDER for those who do not know.

If you are still wondering why the B&B are not on my list here is why.

NICKOLAS AND KEZIA have been pointing out things that I may have missed, made sure the horse insurance was paid, telling other groups about our event and getting interested people to come and compete. Not only do they have aspects of the event to be responsible for and are organizing, They have been getting members of OUR BARONY interested and motivated to help. The have been speaking at populace and officers meetings that I was unable or forgot to attend. With out Kezia, Nickolas, Clarissima and Isobail we would not be hosting this event. With out the rest of OUR BARONY we will not have an event.

My feet have splinters, and my soap box creaks.

If you have a problem with this letter answer me privately.
BTW, I have never played this game for recognition.
I want people to have as much fun at our events as I
have had at their events.

Brian >:o(