[Ravensfort] 1st Event Cards--A Few Questions

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Thu Feb 6 22:35:06 PST 2003

I thought I would wade in with my two cents. I have autocrated 4 events in
the past and I found the get in free list to be a major pain in the butt for
the Autocrat. Invariably someone would show up at the gate with a van load
full of people who were not on the list and were attending their first
event, then I would have to go to the troll booth and try to decide what to
do. Some of the "Newbies" would have Sable thistles or Cranes or such
hanging around their neck. The whole card system was a BIG HUGE improvement.
So to answer the questions, I would say the following.

> 1.  Do you think they are useful?  Why? or Why not?
Yes they are useful. They
        1. Free the autocrat from having to try and determine whether a
person is a true newie or not.
        2. They provide a tangible invitation to come out and play.
        3. They provide a system for keeping up with who showed up, instead
of assuming everyone on the list showed up.
Some down sides however,
        1. There used to be some people with a permanent invite to the
events. (Mr. Rore (SP?)(Site owner), Frank Fair (Campus sponser) etc.
        2. It can be hard to find the cards before an event.
        3. The Autocrat still ends up having to make judgment calls at the
site. (They have to hand out cards)

> 2.  Do you think the priviledge of their use
> is "abused?"  If so how and why?
Anything that can be used for good, can be abused. I don't see this as a
reason to discontinue the practice. We are a society that stresses honor.
There is no oportunity to display honor unless there is an extended trust
that the system will not be abused.

> 3.  How would you feel if we discontinued their use?
Another institution bites the dust. Ravens Fort has always welcomed the
chance to provide a good initial experience for a newbie. (Bring us your
virgin eventers, and we will make them hard core in one weekend.)

I would like to add that the whole system is a total waste of every one's
time if the newbies are not shown a good time. When newbies are humiliated
for their ignorance, or derided for lax garb wearing, they probably won't be
back, and the uncollected site fee was a waste.