[Ravensfort] Info on GW

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 19:01:00 PST 2003

For those going to Gulf War for the first time...

The nearest grocery store is in Lumberton (just a few miles from the site) but you won't find anything even remotely exotic there...it's just a basic country store kindof place...the nearest real grocery store as well as Walmart and Super Kmart, meat markets, etc are in Hattiesburg 30 plus miles north...there is a Super Walmart in Picayune on the way to the site (40 miles south of the site)

There will be several food vendors...everything from truckstop food to middle eastern...and usually at least one all night coffee shop...

Alcohol can only be purchased in state run stores and the variety is not really large, wine was twice as expensive as it is here even for the cheap stuff...and if you are stopped in Mississippi and the troupers find alcohol in your vehicle without a Mississippi tax stamp they will pour it out right there on the side of the road...I saw this happen to a friend who had brought 10 crates of mead and several carboys of home brew...Mississippi troupers have no tolerance...

Pack most of the SCA clothes you own...I've seen temperatures shift from 80 and sunny to 30 and mucking cold and wet....

Have fun,

Safe Journey,

Lorraine