[Ravensfort] Theory

jacinth jacinth at mail.ev1.net
Tue Jul 22 13:49:09 PDT 2003

Clarissima <ldyclarissima at yahoo.com> wrote:
>The people who don't play on a local level but
>participate on the kingdom level are like the English
>Gentry that had their county seat and ancestrial home
>in the country, but lived in London.  What were those
>people called?

I guess that depends on how well placed they were.  If they were well off,
they likely had any number of titles that are restricted in use (marquess,
baron, viscount, duke, and earl come to mind) that they likely used rather
than a general term.

According to Burke's Peerage & Gentry there is another title that is non-
peerage (as the above titles are peers), and that is the title of "baronet".
See:  <http://www.burkes-scotland.com/sites/peerage/sitepages/page66-baronet.asp>

On a side note, an interesting term came to my attention in BP&G, one that
more accurately describes the position of B&B:

"regality: in Scotland, jurisdiction over an area of landed estate granted by the Crown or the landed estate over which the jurisdiction was so granted."

Kind of cool, so I share it here... as we are getting into the discussion of
labels (speaking of which, it is rather dangerous to apply labels to people
as they may suddenly do exactly what you label them rather than grow to
their full potential... being called "transient" is rather offputting, and may
even be construed as insulting, no matter how apt it may be at the time).
Maybe a nicer name would be "gypsies"... a little more fun (as that is what
they do, and still moves around). :)

Interesting discussion.

-J.