[Ravensfort] knife making class updates

Jeremy Meaux j_meaux at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 10:43:59 PDT 2003

Greetings,

post I have decided to answer some of the questions
most commonly asked.

Here is a list of items need to attend.
  ***Eye protection*** must have or you cannot attend,
safety is major concern on this point.
  gloves-- the cheap brown type from walmart or a
hardware store work great

optional items***
dust mask of some type, many people are allergic to
certain types of wood. Bone also is very nasty for the
lungs.

hacksaw to cut your steel and wood/bone
files
sandpaper
a drill with a sanding disc attachment and papers for
it or a belt sander.
a vise and a portable table if available

This being said, on this project i will allow and
provide guidance to produce the knife of your choice.
If you have material such as bone, antler or wood you
would like to use please ask for guidance and we will
work out the proper design for your knife.
I am not going to by steel this time until each person
wanting to participate states what type of blade they
wish to make, this way we can tailor the steel size to
your design and handle material/shape.

***just as a side note, i am not limiting this to
fixed blades. folders are period and date to roman
times. many of the principles are the same, it just
takes a little more precision and patience to make
things line up properly.***

i am
jean-michel