[Ravensfort] SCA gate - a puzzle for those who like such things

Charlene Charette perronnelle at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 20:05:25 PDT 2003

I'll take a shot at it.  In order not to get confused, you just have to
take it one item at a time.  As the old joke goes you can eat an
elephant one bite at a time.

> The trailer has a horse looking out at you.  The van has the following
> items in it.

Is this an event with horse activities?  If no, then they can't come on
site with the horse.  If yes, then the gate follows whatever procedures
concerning animals that the site requires.

> A gentleman who forgot his membership card and thinks it
> expires either last month or next month.

If he has no blue card with him then he signs the waiver.  If he has no
other proof of membership (eg, a current Blackstar in his name) then he
pays the $3 NMS.

> His lady who is a current member with a card.

If she has a blue card she's fine.  If it's a white card she signs the
waiver.  She doesn't pay the NMS.

> Their two children ages 8 and 13, one is a member and one is not.

The parent signs the minor waiver for the child who is not a member.

If the other child has a blue card with them then s/he's fine.  If not
then the parent signs the minor waiver.

For the money portion (site fee & NMS) you haven't provided enough
information.  What is the site fee for adults?  For minors?  What, if
anything, is the family max?

> Their 16 year old nephew who isn't a member.

If they don't have a notarized minor permission form then they can't
come on site at all with the nephew.  If they do have the permission
form they sign the minor waiver.  For the money portion, see the above
children for the missing information.  Whether or not this child is
subject to the family max is up to the local group's financial policy
definition of "family".

> A dog, ferret, and a parrot in a large cage.

Unless the site or event steward prohibits pets/animals, the gate
doesn't need to do anything about these animals.

> The parents want feast, the kids don't.

They pay for two feasts.

> The exercise can be timed for added fun.

Didn't take me but a couple of minutes.

The next time I'll be teaching the "How to Run Gate class" is at my home
(near Sugar Land) next Wednesday (July 30th).  Email me at
perronnelle at earthlink.net if you're interested in attending (by Sunday
if you want a guaranteed copy of the handout).

--Perronnelle

--
American women expect to find in their husbands a perfection that
English women only hope to find in their butlers.  -- W. Somerset Maugham